4.2.13

The Last Stand (2013)

Not in his town. Not on his watch./
Retirement is for sissies.

The Last Stand is a piercing 2013 action film starring the 38th Governor of California, notorious Arnold Schwarzenegger. The film is Schwarzenegger's first lead role since 2003's Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines. It's also the first American production for director Kim Jee-woon. Additionally I would like to point out brilliant actors such as Johnny Knoxville, Eduardo Noriega, Peter Stormare and Luis Guzmán but more on that later because first comes a quick synopsis.

After resigning from his position with the Los Angeles Police Department Sheriff Ray Owens (Schwarzenegger) chooses to settle down in the peaceful, quiet, almost crime free border town of Sommerton Junction.
Unfortunately for Owens, Gabriel Cortez (Noriega), the most notorious, good-looking and wanted drug lord in the hemisphere has escaped from jail and is making a beeline for Sheriff's little town (using a powerful modified Chevrolet Corvette C6 ZR1). Sheriff Owens is forced to rejoin his team in order to capture the runaway before he crosses the border of Mexico and is lost forever.


Therefore, action films have not always been my cup of tea but at the end of January I and my fiancé felt like going to the cinema and The Last Stand happened to be the only film that fit into our plans and minds. And we both loved it! So, what did I exactly love?
  • Arnold Schwarzenegger who in my opinion was so much better here than back in The Terminator days. The 65-year-old action star still has the coolest German accent but in The Last Stand he was very down-to-earth, likable and witty - really a pleasure to watch! And how brilliant was the spicy yet respectably humorous fight scene between Sheriff Ray Owens and criminal Gabriel Cortez!
  • As said before I also loved Johnny Knoxville's character Lewis Dinkum who even (or obviously) reminded me of Knoxville's Jackass days. Lewis was totally peculiar, such an amusing and crazy guy with all his historical war material and funny outfits.
  • Additionally I enjoyed Peter Stormare's, Luis Guzmán's and Eduardo Noriega's acting because they all were utterly believable and carelessly talented. But you have to see them to completely understand what I'm so rapturously babbling here.
  • The Last Stand pretty much made me jump, it was so gripping and intense! But it also made me laugh and smile, a few cruel scenes brought some sorrow too. It really offered everything.

Even some unreal car scenes and (in my book) weak female character by Jaimie Alexander didn't reduce my delight and positive emotions. And those emotions decently surprised me since I wasn't expecting anything as awesome when we sat down in the cinema. I believe I have found my favourite action film and I would love to see The Last Stand again. 10/10

What are your thoughts on The Last Stand, Arnold Schwarzenegger, action films in general?

23 comments:

  1. I guess I should see this. I pretty much like action films (I like to switch off brain ^^), and Arnold's star obviously isn't fading yet :)
    x, Lara
    http://rrv12.blogspot.fi/

    ReplyDelete
  2. millalgi kinokava vaadates ja sobivat filmi otsides hakkas see film meile ka silma - lihtsalt, et Arnold on end kuidagi nii ammendanud ja kogu treiler tundus täiesti kohutav. nii kohutav, et saime kena kõhutäie naerda lihtsalt :D mulle isiklikult action-filmid meeldivad, aga Schwarzenegger on igas mõttes kuidagi antipaatne lihtsalt... aga mul on iseenesest hea meel, et sina vähemalt oma lemmiku leidnud oled ja noh, üldse, et meeldis :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. heh, kusjuures meil olid need (silmi pööritavad) emotsioonid siis, kui enne Schwarzeneggeri filmi uue Visa Hinge treilerit näidati. kui miski end minu jaoks ammendanud on, siis ilmselgelt Visa Hing (koos Willisega) :D (ja enam-vähem kõik muud filmid, mida Eesti telekanalid üliaktiivselt näitavad, nagu kõigil eestlastel peaks kuldkala mälu olema). kuigi, ega ma Arnoldi filmidest tegelikult väga palju ei tea/mäleta, lihtsalt olid kerged eelarvamused. aga jah, osutus tegelikkuses selliseks mõnusaks kergeks meelelahutuseks see filmike. pealegi on alati tore, kui ei pea pileti ostmist pärast kahetsema :D

      Delete
  3. I love when you do movie reviews! I must say I've never been the Arnie fan where I have to go see it in the cinema, however whenever his movies come onto the tv they're always a good watch. I'll have to see this though....10/10? Exciting!

    Couture Caddy x

    ReplyDelete
  4. glad you found a movie you both liked. my guy likes action flicks too. they're not my fave. Sometimes i'll watch them, but i think they are mostly targeted to men.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My parents went to see this movie, and now I want to watch it as well! Nice review of it :)

    Trendy Teal

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually love action movies - it doesn't go along with my girlie personality at all, I know; chalk it up to the fact that I have a brother and no sisters - but I think they're best when they don't try to be too serious. The Last Stand sounds just like my kind of slightly zany but fast-paced movie. Thanks for the review, I hadn't heard of it but now I have to watch it!
    xox,
    Cee

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I saw a trailer for this movie I thought it was the strangest pair, Arnold and Johnny! (I guess I'll never be able to move past the jackass days...) I always enjoy a good action flick so we'll probably end up watching it when it comes out on dvd. I do think it's interesting that you think Arnold's better in this film, I wonder if he's soften up a bit since his divorce and being governor? Like maybe now he's better able to expose other sides of himself and his personality now. (Hah, I just thought of the worst joke as I read back through that! Oh Arnold....)

    That is a pretty sweet car! I would mind zipping around in it, it looks like it would be such a kick to drive. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. very well said, Katie! ;) softening up makes perfect sense since he really is sweet and pleasant in The Last Stand. oh and don't you even tell me about the car! I LOVED that beast! the sound of it, the looks.. pretty much divine :)

      Delete
    2. It's so unusual to see him coming across as a little softer, he's normally just all tough acting and guns blazing so I'm going to have to go see this! I always liked True Lies with him, it was one of his movies where it felt like he had more genuine emotion so I'm really curious to see him play up that aspect more. :)

      Delete
    3. oh, I totally forgot about True Lies! and it even had Eliza Dushku from Buffy the Vampire Slayer (such a classic!) and The New Guy (I love that film!). thank you for reminding me those :)

      Delete
  8. Really? 10 out of 10? If its that good, gonna check it out :-P Booooy, is Arnie getting oooold!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow 10/10? I have not seen an Arnold movie in god knows how many years..... Def will have to check this out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh wow i didnt know he has a new movie out!! cool :D

    katslovefashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not the biggest fab of Arnold, but you're so enthusiastic about this movie that I may watch it;) I like action movies but I don't really watch them that often. My boyfriend likes only serious, good-quality, film festivals movies. So when I end up watching something else - it's most of the time romantic movies, like comedies or Twilight sort of movies;)

    Xx

    Alexandra

    www.fashion-bridge.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post!!!
    maybe follow each other? I would be so glad ;)
    http://fashionbyelena.blogspot.com.es
    https://www.facebook.com/Fashionbyelena

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad to hear you liked it! Might have to check it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm sure my husband totally wants to see this movie!

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, I had never thought about seeing this, but after your great review, I might have to check it out! :)
    :)
    Allison

    A's Fashion Files
    Shop Kawaii Kitsch by A on Etsy, and get free domestic shipping with code FREESHIP

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think this is worth watching simply for schwarenegger! such a legend,Im sure my boyfriend will love this :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. 10/10! Sounds like this should be on the top of my list :) great review!

    ~Britta

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow, u make this movie sound so good! i think i need to see it now though probably on DVD since i rarely get to go to the theater.

    http://spinning-threads.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete