3.7.13

Suomenlinna experience*

*(enriched with a very serious amount of photos and text)

Happy July, my sweetiepies! And bye-bye, my unbelievably short (barely 17 days... please do sense the sarcasm here) June vacation. Obviously I'm already secretly waiting for the next one which will hopefully and probably arrive in August and last for another fleeting 17 days. Anyway, since vacations normally stand for numerous road, sea and other types of trips, I therefore have quite a lot to tell you about and I'm immediately going to start off with our one day trip to Helsinki in Finland.

So, without further ado, two weeks ago, on June 18 we woke up crazy early (at least 5 o'clock in the morning if not even earlier) in order to drive to our metropolis Tallinn. There we quickly ditched the car and travelled to Finland's capital town Helsinki by Viking Line's ship M/S Viking XPRS. By the way, I purchased my new and sweetly pink Guess wallet (€ 49 19.60) from that ship. But now about the first and very exciting thing we did in Helsinki!

Emporio Armani sunnies | Seppälä chandelier earrings, snake necklace, cuff bracelet and sneakers | ancient XX by Mexx denim jacket | thrifted Hagenfeldt knitwear | H&M dress | D&G watch | Guess purse.


We collected a capacious Helsinki related briefcase compiled by my dear (blog) friend Elisabeth from The Helsinki City Tourist & Convention Bureau. She also kindly left us two Helsinki cards and a beautiful white swan brooch from titiMadam (all their products are made only in Helsinki and London). I proudly wore my new brooch on June 23 and will now leave you a little sneak peek of that outfit.

I already found out where to buy titiMadam's products in Estonia and I'm particularly excited when it comes to their new, doggies by titiMadam collection. They even offer an incredible chance to get a custom made set of jewelry of your own dog, and believe me, I would SO wear Elvis-shaped brooch, earrings and a necklace! Such a shame I didn't know about their doggies' collection when we were in Helsinki. But all right, I'm going to tame my overly joyful emotions now, move forward and tell you about our trip to Suomenlinna.


Since we were in fortunate possession of two Helsinki cards we could enjoy Suomenlinna (ferry rides, multiple museums) free of charge. Suomenlinna (Sveaborg in Swedish) sea fortress is a cultural treasure founded in 1748 on islands off the coast of Helsinki. Its construction began in the 1700s when Finland was part of the Kingdom of Sweden. In the 19th century it was under Russian rule. Nowadays Suomenlinna has been listed as a UNESCO World Heritage site (since 1991), to be preserved for future generations as an example of the European military architecture of its time. It's also a lively city district and one of Finland's most popular tourist attractions.

So, now a bit about a couple of fascinating museums we visited there. The first one was Military Museum's Manege that showcases weaponry and Finnish national defence from the time of independence but also a section on Finnish coastal defence (the artillery manege was built in 1880-81 and renovated in 1987 by the way). Secondly we stopped by at Suomenlinna Toy Museum where reside thousands of old toys, dolls, teddy bears, toy cars and games. The oldest of these date back to the beginning of the 1800s. Wartime toys and games are one of the specialities of the museum (but unfortunately taking photos was not allowed there).


Anyway, in the third place we explored a restored 1930s Finnish submarine Vesikko which gives visitors a great chance to see the amenities of a submarine crew and the submarine technology of that era. I'm pretty sure it was my first time being inside a real submarine and gosh it was extremely tight but still such an amazing and educational experience! Vesikko was used in the Second World War by the way.

Last but definitely not least we decided to browse Ehrensvärd Museum that is located in the official residence of the fortress commandant and showcases the (Swedish) period of Augustin Ehrensvärd (1710-1772), the first commandant (and also the creator) of the fortress. Building the fortress of Sveaborg was a life's work for Ehrensvärd and he continued expanding the fortress until his death in 1772. I completely adore the historical interior decoration, especially the stunningly embellished and delicately painted fireplaces seen below.


Whereas our time in Suomenlinna was up we couldn't visit Suomenlinna Museum and Customs Museum but what can you do when a girl is eager to shop too, even a little bit. Therefore we visited Stockmann wherefrom I bought my very first Maison Scotch item. It's a La Femme Selon Marie long-sleeved tee (€ 49.90 29.90) from Maison Scotch's women's collection for Scotch and Soda. Besides, how could I not buy something as awesome with a meaningful massive letter M on top of it anyway, right? :)

Naturally we also stopped by at a couple of "mandatory" H&M stores and I detected only three likeable things: a beautiful coral imitation leather bracelet (€ 3.95), a black & gold imitation leather belt with two buckles (€ 14.95 7.47) and a cute soft bra (€ 12.95 7). By the way, H&M stores look rather terrible (=some people become brainless barbarians and devastators) during sales if you know what I mean. But I still wanted a comfortable but striking pair of sandals for summer. So we visited Aleksi 13 in addition and it indeed was a great success because I found them! An outstanding pair of fuchsia/neon pink sandals (€ 39.95 23.95) from o.i.s. My following two outfits will also include those vivid cuties which can only mean one thing: they already serve me well for sure!


But I believe I should really put everything in a nutshell now (even though I have so much to say in addition). We were seriously lucky with the weather since it was simply perfect. Elisabeth's help also meant a lot and it certainly made our trip breezier than it would have been otherwise. Helsinki is my kind of city and it was a great change for us. So I genuinely hope you enjoyed the story and my photos (the excellent ones who read it are obviously my favourites so you can let me know if you did because I'm curious ;) Definitely let me know what you think and I wonder if any of you have been to Suomenlinna?

39 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you finally got your holiday - and it looks like it was a wonderful one! I've never been to Finland but it's high on my list of places to visit; I'm sorry I won't be able to make it there before heading back to Canada, but I suppose you can't have everything :) In the meantime, I will just admire your photos. It sounds like there was so much to see at Suomenlinna - and some good shopping to be done, too! I love your new pink sandals :)
    xox,
    Cee

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! I love your pink sandals, the swan pin, and that sweet photo of the baby geese. Looks like a great time :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seems like you had a lot of fun, loved seeing all the photos.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. otsanunnukene, millised pehmed nunnupead linnupojakesed! sellised karvapallid, et mul tekib teisel pool arvutit niiii suur tahtmine neid paitada!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jah, seal olid põhimõtteliselt iga nurga peal sellised nunnupallid ringi sebimas, nii-et mu põhiline tekst koosneski "awwwww"idest ja "niiiiiii nunnu"dest :D

      Delete
  5. Man, I envy how you get to travel! Looks like an amazing trip, and I love that pretty ruffled skirt. :)

    Trendy Teal

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fun adventures you had! My vacation starts at the end of July, I can't wait! Those hot pink sandals are fabulous and the fluffy ducklings are too previous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing photographs! Looks like you had a great time :)

    www.debrabros.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like soo much fun! Ahhh these vacation photos are gorgeous, especially with the ones with water. Looks like you had such a lovely time. Your blog posts make me really really really want to go to Europe again. It's so beautiful there :) And awww the little ducklings are soo fluffy! And your outfit is so pretty for this trip, I like the ruffled dress with the sneakers. Such a great mix of girly and sporty!

    Thank you so much for your advice about college! So helpful:) And thanks for letting me know about the “blog ro” (it’s supposed to say blog roll) issue. I’ll try to fix it sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful photos!

    www.timolove.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your little sweater. The ducklings are tooooo cute!

    Wardrobe Quarry

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love that when i come to your blog you're going someplace new. americans dont really have a lot of leisure time (we work until we die) so i absolutely love seeing your travels :)

    hope you are well babe!

    james
    twitter: @jamiebgoode
    instagram: jamiebgoode

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi sweetie!
    The trip looks amazing! Beautiful photos!
    I kindly invite you to join a giveaway held on my blog! Three easy steps & you might find yourself on the winners list! :)

    International giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this post, you have very cute photos!
    I hope you like my new post :)
    Kisses♥

    http://www.atelier242.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. amazing photos!!! thanks for sharing these!!

    Click me for my BLOG!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh it looks so cool!
    I love your sandals ♥♥ the color is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow this first picture! I feel like going on a boat trip now more than ever! Your pictures are breathtaking Maiken!!
    Seems like those vacations were well spent, I can finally see a picture of you and your hubby aw I'm so envious :). Love your new sandals btw :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. these photos are so beautiful and sunny! it seems like you had a lot of fun dear Maiken! and I absolutely love your new purchases. I've been in helsinki a couple of times but never anywhere else in Finland! Cool to see the pics;)

    Xx

    Alexandra

    www.fashion-bridge.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Maiken, of course this blog post hit me hard - you wrote so kindly about Helsinki! :) I'm happy I could help out in making your trip more pleasant, after all Helsinki has so much to offer for someone who loves to experience things like you do. You're such a good writer, and the photos are stunning as well! For future trips, I put the new Mondo guide in your kit. According to me, it's one of the best guides out there about enchanting Helsinki! I was sure you would like the brooch since it reminded me of you (did you know that the swan is our national bird?) and that is why I added that ;) Next time you'll visit the zoo? :)

    xxx
    E from Helsinki
    http://dragonflyelisabeth.blogspot.fi/

    ReplyDelete
  19. The baby duckies and the dog are so cute!! Loving the sandals too xxxx
    <3

    http://segenswunsche.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks like your vacation turned out amazingly! Those baby ducklings are sooo cute and fluffy! Ah I know what you mean about H&M, it is a mad house. Zara stores also tend to get crazy around the sales, the lines can get soooo long. That Maison Scotch t looks awesome, cannot wait to see how you style it :)

    Mili from call me, Maeby

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the summer accessories and the trendy jewelry. You can avail the Nimli Coupons Code and discount offers on your favorite fashion junk for low prices!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sometimes museums can be rather drab, but it looks to me like you got to see some really neat ones. Hope your vacation was amazing!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful place and looks like you had a great time. Thanks for the history and beautiful pictures. Learnt something about a new place :)

    xx
    Heel in Mint
    www.heelinmint.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Maiken, those pics are so beautiful and they make me wanna travel so much =) love also your look for the trip, beautiful shoes and skirt ! Kisses and glad you had fun

    Fashion and Cookies
    Fashion and Cookies on Facebook
    Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  25. ooh looks like you had a great trip! love all these photos!! you look so relaxed and gorgeous :)

    katslovefashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. This post just reminds me that my own holiday is way overdue. Looks like you had fun there. I also love your pink sandals.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh wow, what a fun and exciting vacation! The cruise part looked really fun, I love getting out on the water and coastlines are always so pretty. (And it's always fun to try to spot whales and other sealife.) It's crazy how fast vacations seem to go by, theres just never enough time. (I love looking at all of your photos, the scenery is just stunning and you look so happy in all of your pictures!) I wanted to say thank you so much for your kindness over the past few weeks, I've been really neglectful and I miss getting to say hi to you and see your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  28. maiken, such lovely views you saw on your vacation! the brilliant blue sky, water, and deck. cute couple shot, and adorable ducks. i imagine the submarine was interesting,

    ReplyDelete
  29. I've never been there but it sounds and looks amazing! what a wonderful trip. you look fabulous as always. I love living vicariously through you and getting to see different parts of the world!

    http://spinning-threads.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great boat look, this looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Seems like you had a great holiday! & the little ducklings are so cute :3

    x Gi
    alibimag.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. The views of the water are breathtaking and beautiful!

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
  33. What an incredible day trip! How long was the ship ride? Looks like you got some great help and some really nice purchases!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thank you for your interesting comment on my blog! What kind of feeling are you meaning? I would love to hear more about your pre-traveling feelings.
    I enjoy sunbathing on our balcony as well! I'm definitely not the kind of person who needs to go to the beach, but this year it felt like the right thing :)
    Interesting to hear about how weather conditions affect your domestic traveling. My boyfriend has a lot of hobbies during the weekends, so we need to plan ahead if we want to spend the weekends together.
    Believe me, my vacation will also include lots of work at home! :)
    No, I've never been to Riga but I've heard lovely things about the city!

    xxx
    E from Helsinki
    http://dragonflyelisabeth.blogspot.fi/

    ReplyDelete
  35. I always love your little travelling diaries. It's so much better to a pack when you travel such as the Viking lines, so that you can do loads of things and already have your passes. Your photos make me want to visit Suomenlinna. Your pink sandals are so pretty. xx/Madison

    ReplyDelete
  36. I loved this post,lots to read and lots of wonderful photos to look through!
    Oh my gosh Helsinki looks incredibly beautiful,you certainly know how to make the most of your time off,I'm off work next week,and can not wait,I got to get planning to make the most of it like you! As you know time flies especially when your on holiday :(
    Oh my gosh,you have got to get an Elvis shaped brooch?! that would be amazing and so cute,what a wonderful idea and gift from your friend.
    The museum sounds so interesting,shame you couldnt take photos of the toys,I guess its because there so fragile.
    You've always got to fit in some shopping time,love all your little finds,I love those bright pink sandals,such a gorgeous bright colour!I loved your sweet outfit you wore,love the jumper and the pop of bright pink with that gorgeous guess bag!
    Glad to hear you had such a wonderful trip,hope your well,and heres too your next holiday :D wonderful post x

    ReplyDelete