21.10.13

Mid-autumn at the Ice Age Centre

Hello, sweeties! It's about time to finally tell you a little about the fascinating Ice Age Centre we visited already more than three weeks ago - on September 28. However, first things first! I want to demonstrate three cool things I purchased on the very same day: a spring-like necklace (6.95 2.09€) from good old Seppälä, clearly the most awesome thrifted mug (1.40€) that was handpainted in Thailand and last but not least those black and silver boots (39.99 17.99€) from Cropp's Chillin accessories. Those boots derive from their Glossy Chillin collection and have been my everyday boots ever since I bought them. So, don't be too surprised when you see them boots through my posts again and again because already two autumn outfits besides the one in today's blog post are waiting to be shared ;)


Lindex necklace | thrifted Connect by Lindex sweater | Amisu jacket | Fishbone men's pants | Chillin accessories boots.

Anyhow, the Ice Age Centre, right? It is situated on the shores of beautiful Lake Saadjärv in tiny Äksi borough, Tartu County and there is more than 2 200 m² of exhibition space divided on three extensive floors, each and every full of stories about ice ages on the background of world history and human beings in the wonderful constantly changing nature.

The first floor is all about the mystical animals from the ice age (mammoths, Irish elk, cave lion), ice ages on the background of world history and how the world became a livable environment for us, human beings. By the way, when it comes to the mammoths' reconstruction the best scientists in the world served as consultants throughout the complex preparation process.


The second floor introduces heritage of the glaciers in today's landscapes, development of nature after ice age, traces of ice age in folktales and piercing dioramas of different animals. Those dioramas were incredibly authentic, such an amazing sight to see! And I was delighted to reminisce about my long ago trip to Norway in 2006 when I had the fascinating opportunity to touch a life-size forceful glacier with my own two hands (see my quick two photo collage above).

Anyway, the third floor focuses on meteorological observations and the climate, the role of a human being in climate changes and naturally the big questions - will there be a new ice age? and does the future depend on us? All in all I and my fiancé both loved the whole experience and I would warmly recommend the Ice Age Centre to everyone who enjoys wisdom and knowledge. Check out their website here and also let me know what do you, guys, think about science centres and have you visited any?


By the way, in my next post I will probably tell you about my recent trip to our capital town Tallinn, show you my casual shopping day outfit and of course what I got from the stores (a small hint for you - not much :) But for the time being enjoy today's photos and all that ice age talk. Stay warm and see you next time!

28 comments:

  1. see on nii äge, kuidas mõni pilt näeb välja, nagu oleks vahetult tehtud. ma olen Jääaja keskusest nii vastakaid arvamusi kuulnud - küll head, küll halba - ise ma pole sinna veel paraku jõudnud. ükskord juba hakkasin minema, kuid siis oli kinni. aga kuna see nii lähedal ju tegelikult on, siis tuleks seal kindlasti juba varsti ära käia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) kahju ainult, et kõikvõimas blogger osa pilte ära käkkis. originaalis on nii mõnigi pilt kordades parem ja kvaliteetsem. igatahes, ma arvan samuti, et alati tasub asjad ise üle vaadata, nii ka see keskus siin. mina loeks küll huviga sinu muljeid kajastavat postitust. ja minu meelest oli tõesti tegemist põneva ajaviitega :) kui poleks sulgema hakatud, kolanuks isegi kauem seal ringi.

      Delete
  2. I wish I could see those glaciers, looks pretty amazing for a girl who has always in a sunny place like me. For some reasons I really love the color combo you did here :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, what a cool exhibit! I need to get out more...haha
    Love these metal capped booties and your rad colored jeans :)

    The Dragonfruit Diaries

    ReplyDelete
  4. We don't have a lot of science centers, in fact I don't think we have even one. Does a museum count? :D

    And OMG the boots!!!! O_O How did you manage to steal such a perfect pair of boots, they're amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D well, it just has to count if you don't have anything else there, haha.
      by the way, I checked Cropp's webpage www.cropp.com and they have a store in Bulgaria too, in Sofia. did you know that? so those boots are probably waiting for you there ;)

      Delete
    2. LoL! I just checked, they have indeed in one of our malls, what are the chances :D Haha!

      Delete
  5. oh wow the ice age centre sounds so cool! :D loveeeeee your outfit! that necklace is absolutely stunning!! and ahh the doggy mug is adorable :D

    katslovefashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Ice Age Centre looks absolutely fascinating but I have to admit, I'm a little bit distracted by your outfit because I love it so much :) The boots with the silver toe cap are to die for... And then your sparkly necklace over the equally sparkly but slightly contrasting sweater... I am so, so in love with this combination! You are looking just gorgeous.
    xox,
    Cee

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute mug! Also, awesome booths! I would love the ice age center - you already might know that I have a thing for (pre)historical topics :)

    About climate change, humans are obviously causing the climate heating, but I believe these things depend not only on human but several things. Also, what will happen is very hard to predict before the process starts rolling somehow, methinks. You can give a hypothesis but not certain knowledge.

    I have visited science centers and the biggest impact was one with models of dinosaurs, in Vantaa (next to Helsinki) that was ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the next ice age WILL come but our eyes will not see it. that's what I learned during our visit to the centre. scary but inevitable. by the way, when you come to Estonia you should definitely visit the Ice Age Centre. I'm sure you would like the experience :)

      Delete
  8. I can see why you've been wearing those boots so much,the silver toe detail is so cool and they look so comfy,and everytime I see that gorgeous necklace,Im amazed,the colours and sparkle are stunning.
    The Ice age centre looks and sounds amazing,I love places like this,fun to look around but also you get to learn a little about the past.
    Hope your well,of to check out your last post...I spot a gorgeous dog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. beautiful photos <3
    would you like to follow each other?
    just let me know
    kisses, Marlena

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the jewel tones of your outfit, all emphasized by the bright jewel necklace. I've always loved going to museusms of natural history, so this exhibit would have drawn me right in!

    Brittney

    anotherbeautifulthing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your utility jacket Maiken!! Great photos too!

    xoxo,
    E
    refined couture 

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow the Ice Age Center looks amazing! I love the stunning nature and a peek in history it gives. I wish I could visit it too:) you look stunning as well. I really love the bright crystal necklace. And the hoop earring you got are super cool too

    Xx

    Alexandra

    www.fahion-bridge.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, I'd LOVE to go to the Ice Age Center too!!! I and my boyfriend are obsessed with mammoths.:D I've been to the London Science Center, it was cool, I like when they make science fun and interactive with all the exhibits!

    I have to say something about that mug too!!! I want that mug!!!!:D I think bull terriers are one of the most adorable creatures on the planet, if I could, I'd have 3 of them right now.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope you guys will get yourself at least one of those three doggies then ;)

      Delete
  14. What a cool center! And I love your green jacket, looks great on you!

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
  15. maiken, those boots, that jacket, & that necklace rock! super cutest thrifted mug indeed. i think you should show us your norway photos, cause i'm curious like that. i have been to science centers. i prefer children's ones that are interactive. some science stuff goes over my head, & i get confused.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I must think about making a post about my trip to Norway then. or well, actually it would probably be just a photo post since more than 7 years have ticked away in the meantime and I don't remember much any more :)

      Delete
  16. That is such a pretty outfit! Great finds too, that mug is adorable. I love those boots and necklace and the colors in your outfit, they mix so well together! The science center looks so interesting! That's so cool that you have touched a glacier before. The pictures are beautiful!

    Francesca

    ReplyDelete
  17. The glaciers would be quite something to see! Gorgeous boots, they are quite popular. I have a pair of black ones that I just love wearing. Sounds like you had a very nice time and the center is very intersting. Love all of your photos! Wishing you a great weekend. :) /Madison

    ReplyDelete
  18. nice pics :)

    http://sbr-fashion-fashion.blogspot.com/2013/10/win-15-dollars-with-coupon-at.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yes, I've been to science museums. I love our science center Heureka, http://heureka.fi/en, have you visited it? I also like our Natural History Museum, http://www.luomus.fi/english/nhm/.
    I like your boots and the necklace is nice!
    Thank you Maiken for your kind words and for stopping by my blog. Did I tell you that I have a co-student in my master class that is from Jõgeva?

    xxx
    E from Helsinki
    http://dragonflyelisabeth.blogspot.fi/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. nope, I'm afraid I have not visited any of your.. I mean Finnish science centres but I would definitely love to, one day :) and wow, no you didn't tell me that. what a cool coincidence!

      Delete
  20. Wow, beautiful combination of colors and attention to detail! Love your accessories especially :) Hope you had a great time at the center!
    xo Jess
    www.stylizedluxe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think the color of your pants is prettier ! ^^
    & I love your shoes, they are amazing ♥

    ReplyDelete