5.8.14

Fauna, flora and various (in other words May 16-17 in Ag Nik, Crete)

Hello and happy last month of summer... or can you even believe it's August already? Because I sure can't but hey, at least September will bring us another spare week which has to be awesome. Anyhow, right now I hope you're not tired of constantly* seeing my favourite island Crete yet because today's blog post speaks just about that again (*not that I'm constantly blogging or anything but still). And to be even more specific I'm going to introduce you the fauna and flora of marvelous Agios Nikolaos, mixed with some various moments from our numerous strolls around the town.

So, first and foremost, Ag Nik is a medium size coastal town with a cosy small town feel. It has three unique faces to the sea: Lake Voulismeni and the port, Kitroplatia Beach and the Marina; and one of my previous posts (link) covers part of those three. But now about today's photos. For a start a batch of snapshots taken here, there and everywhere while strolling around the town on May 16 and 17.


There's this cool roof garden cocktail bar/café from the centre of the town, some typical mountains, numerous boats on Mirabello Bay and our last scrumptious Cretan meal at Ayra Loft (wait until you hear what kind of non-scrumptious stuff we had in a mandatory mediocre hotel in Amoudara when we were stuck on the island for a day because of a broken aeroplane).

And today, when I nostalgically look back on our time in Ag Nik I just really miss those long walks and want to discover more of it. All those flamboyant, tourist-free side streets bordered with distinctive balconies, terraces and floral oases genuinely won my heart. And of course our magnificent meals at Ayra Loft, accompanied by interesting conversations with the owner who by the way was completely aware of our little Estonia because his wife (who's also the excellent cook at Ayra Loft) comes from Latvia, one of our adjoining states.


Anyway, let's move on with the common fauna of Agios Nikolaos. Cats strongly outnumber every other animal in town and that's a verified fact. They're here, there and everywhere and even though I'm not actually a cat person I still fell for several of them and seriously wanted to pack them in my suitcase. On the other hand we saw zero vagrant dogs, only a few non-vagrant ones like the harmonic Chihuahua twosome below. Well and then there were crabs, sea urchins and a lonely local chicken scrabbling in the bushes.


Now, last but not least, a couple of pretty good examples of the beautiful local flora we both loved. And since we happened to visit Crete during the springtime everything was especially lush and vivid and joyfully blossoming. We also brought some local succulents home with us and oh boy how fast they grow! I will kindly share the before and after photos with you... of course if there are any flower enthusiasts among my readers. So, are there? :)


By the way, I know I promised to tell you the story about us getting stuck on the island and I totally planned to but today's post is photo heavy enough even without the numerous pictures that should illustrate my story. So everything that took place beginning from the afternoon of May 17 until the evening/night of May 18 needs a separate blog post and its own glory. And that post will show up... at some time. Logical much? Well, the thing is I have way too much stuff to post about but way too little time to actually do it. But I'm sure most of you have been in my shoes and therefore understand the situation. Oh and the ones who always leave me their feedback - thank you so so much, you're the best! See you next time!

26 comments:

  1. Such beautiful photos! And I LOVE that first picture of you, so pretty.

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
  2. How nice this place looks, and it's great that you were able to chat with the owner. Wonderful captures of local flora. Looking forward to hearing about your story soon. Have a great week.
    /Madison
    Style Adjustments

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't believe it's August either! I feel like I'm learning so much just from reading your travel posts...and as always, I'm in love with your stunning photos!

    StylizedLuxe
    Instagram

    xo Jess

    ReplyDelete
  4. That hibiscus flower is so beautiful! And the chihuahua twosome melted my heart with their cuteness. The views you captured look amazing, I'll definitely have to visit Crete one day!

    Mili

    ReplyDelete
  5. This coastal town looks gorgeous! I of course love all of the cute animal photos too! Hope you're having a wonderful day! xo Hannah

    p.s. I am holding a giveaway over on my blog for a $50 gift card to my vintage shop, a flower crown, and a handmade necklace if you feel like stopping by :)
    http://thebraidedbandit.blogspot.com/2014/08/super-summer-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooh that rooftop bar/cafe looks so cool! i love those snaps of the local flowers! absolutely beautiful :)

    http://katslovefashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Find the latest used and new boats for sale.
    Great used boat deals and prices.
    More here postallads4free.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maiken! So good to see another travels post from you :) I could never get tired of these stunning photos and scenic views. But seriously, can't believe it's August already as well--I leave for college in less than two weeks!

    First, I have to say that you're the chicest traveler. I love that mint headband updo and your pretty braid. And only you could pull off an overalls dress so well! Also loving that fringe shoulder bag--fringe will always have a special place in my heart haha.

    These shots are honestly exquisite! Love the one of you and your husband by the pier. The cats are so pretty and I could definitely see myself getting attached to them as well! And you know me--certainly one of those flower enthusiasts you mentioned :)

    I totally understand the delay of the story--I do that often too so you're definitely not alone haha. I'll be waiting patiently in suspense to hear the intriguing tale!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ma saan täiesti aru, mida sa mõtled selle all, et oleks tahtnud mõne kiisukese kaasa võtta. igavene probleem igasuguste loomadega. ma nägin eile keset linna üht pisikest jänkupoissi. tillukene, näris rahulikult oma rohujupikest, ei kartnud ka. no appiappiappi, ma ei raatsinud üldse ära tulla. süda valutab ta pärast siiani. loodetavasti on ta piisavalt nupukas, et mitte uisapäisa autoteele joosta - oli päris suure liiklusega tee ääres...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jah, no reaalselt ma ilmselt (<- :D) kassi endale kunagi ei võta, kuna kass pole ikka see minu loom. pole kunagi olnud tegelikult, aga ikka hakkab nunnumeeter tööle teatud olukordades. närilistega hakkab ka nunnumeeter tööle, aga kuna nendega on mul ka reaalsed kogemused selja taga, siis tean, et enam ma ühtegi ei taha, olgu ta siis kui tahes armas. mulle meeldib, kui loom teeb oma hädasid kuskil mujal kui toas... ehk siis õues omaette :D ja selles suhtes on koerad ideaalsed: on nunnud, võtavad õppust, suhtlevad, käivad ise hädal ja on lihtsalt toredad vaadata :)

      Delete
  10. Awwww, kitties! Haha my friend would go crazy over them. She's a total cat lady in the making.
    Anyway, love the overall dress you're rocking - I have to agree with Lily here, you're one chic traveler. As a future traveler, I hope to look as stylish as you do! ;)

    The Dragonfruit Diaries

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Maiken,so good to finally stop by your blog and have a catch up,and some lovely posts to read! Thanks so much for checking out my posts,Ive been a naughty blogger,rarely posting,then not having the chance to stop by everyones blogs,but like you say,we all have regular lifes,which definatley do make it hard to blog.. anyways now on to your lovely post.
    I love small towns,have such a warm welcoming feeling with everything at your doorstep,and this place just looks wonderful,a great place to chill and explore.
    And all those beautiful flowers and cats,when I went to Spain,that seemed to be the norm there too,cats strolling around everywhere,not that I minded :) Glad to see your both looking well,and stranded on this beautiful island,i cant think of anything better :D but look forward to hearing more about it in another post x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay, waiting for the next post, don't leave me hangin here! :D
    Omg, I was scrolling and taking deep breaths from all the beautiful locations you visited, then I saw the chicken....Those dead eyes, I almost died laughing :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sorry Keit but I am going to leave you hanging... I'm sure you'll be fine though :D I want to post an outfit for a change and then will arrive the "big" story with heaps of photos. haha and I'm sure the poor chicken would be sad if she heard your harsh words :(

      Delete
  13. I'm so jealous of your holiday in Crete, it looks incredible & I've not been on holiday in years haha! That, and I love cats! :)

    Sarah xo | PolkaDotLemon

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Maiken! I just added the English version of my new post (I was short on time this morning, but now it's done :D, so you can know understand the title of my post :*)

    I make a HUGE sight when I see your post, because I really want to go back on holidays, & yours seems to be soooo cool!
    I love your cool effortless summer look, and all the little animals and nature of this post ♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wowww so amazing pictures!
    I really like this place
    Kisses
    Maggie D.
    The Indian Savage diary

    ReplyDelete
  16. Heyyyy! Of course I remember you! Long time no talk! I had stopped blogging for a while but now I"m starting back up again :) As usual, such gorgeous nature photos!! You always have such pretty pics on here, I've missed your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, stunning photos as always Maiken! Well done! Maybe you could do some blog posts about photography? That would be interesting! Thank you for passing by my blog, and leaving such a kind comment. I'm happy for you that you enjoy so much raw food right now. It would be nice to read more about that as well on your blog.

    xxx
    E from Helsinki, Finland
    http://dragonflyelisabeth.blogspot.fi/

    ReplyDelete
  18. You're so cute ! :)

    Bisous !
    Sofia
    http://nuagedemoutons.blogspot.fr/

    ReplyDelete
  19. love the green sandals! all the animals are so dang cute! such a cute post! looks like a dreamy time!

    kelseybang.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. This place looks so lovely. I really do need to make it to Greece and soon.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This place is so charming! I love the roof garden cafe and all the different animals. And your mint sandals look comfy and cute!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Me can't believe its august (and almost end?) either it feels like I just get my holiday yesterday and suddenly I have a class like 2 weeks again?!
    It really nice to see your travel photo as I envying every picture of it, wondering when will I go on this place as well? haha.
    Anyway, thankyou for your comment on my blog and sure we can follow each other. I follow you now :) stay in touch!

    love,
    http://g-carinoo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love Crete as well! very good presentation of Ag Nikolaos!
    www.mygenerouslife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete