14.9.14

Riga ZOO

Hey! It's time for another travel post! And this time (or actually already on August 20...) I and my fiancé visited the metropolis of Latvia together with my parents. Our trip took place in the middle of a regular work week because it was the Day of Restoration of Independence here in Estonia and therefore a much-needed day off from work. Oh and as you could probably draw an obvious conclusion from the title of today's post our prime destination was the Riga Zoo, conjointly my fourth European zoo after the ones in Czech Republic, Estonia and Finland.

Emporio Armani sunnies | Seppälä Woman dress | thrifted belt| Guess bag | Pink Woman espadrilles | thrifted Kenzo kimono cardigan*.
*can be briefly seen below


So, the zoo is located in Mežaparks, one of the world's first garden cities and also one of the wealthiest areas in Riga. It was opened on October 14 in 1912 which means the zoo will shortly be entirely 102 years old (our native Tallinn Zoo is 75 years old for example). And according to almighty Wikipedia Riga Zoo houses 3 270 animals of 486 species on 16.4 hectares of land.

In fact it's a very compact zoo: not too big, not too small and very wisely structured. And in the same way as always when in zoo, I was childishly ecstatic in front of every animal because they all somehow spoke to me with their infinitely expressive eyes, peculiar looks and flawless gestures.


All in all I find the animal world nothing but astonishing. For example the contrasty black and white stripes of a zebra, the immaculate brown and yellow markings on giraffes, the luxurious coat of an African wild cat called serval... And of course the well-known suricates - can you believe how adorable those little guys are? And did you know a group of suricates (or meerkats) is called a "mob", "gang" or "clan" and a meerkat clan often contains about 20 meerkats but some super-families have 50 or more members? Okay okay, like I said I get overly ecstatic when it comes to the animal kingdom but they're definitely all worth the attention.

Oh and one more important thing about the zoo. They have the coolest Aquarium, Terrarium and the Tropical House which accommodate 20% of all the animals in the Riga Zoo (=animals of about 75 species). And those pale green waxy monkey leaf frogs below were my biggest favourites from the Tropical House.


And another thing - the beautiful birds of Riga Zoo. Bright American and lighter Greater flamingos were both absolutely beautiful, even out of this world kind of delicate. Just look at them, and each and every other individual I've shared with you today, and I'm sure you will understand my enthusiasm. And on top of everything I already brought out Riga Zoo is also a very cosy place and even though the animals and birds live in captivity they at least seem content and happy there. I hope they truly are, as much as possible.


Now, after leaving the zoo we visited a couple of shopping centres like Stockmann, Alfa and Depo but shopping hasn't quite been my goal lately (with the exception of thrift shopping, of course!). Therefore my haul was seriously minimal and I will probably add those few bits and pieces to my Crete haul post when it's time.

Anyway, mom's big wish was to visit the beautiful town of Sigulda before going home and there we went. But the weather turned strongly showery, it was late and chilly and while passing through the area we just glanced at the sights and put together our future go-to list. So it now includes entirely three castles (Sigulda, Krimulda and Turaida), the incredibly lovely Walking-stick park and Serpentine road in Sigulda. And that's only the minimum strategy of course, it's a piece of cake to upgrade the list!


By the way, my plan was to make a rather ephemeral post today but I guess it turned out like it always does so I hope you guys enjoyed it because I sure enjoyed putting it together. Always share your thoughts with me and see you again next time!

23 comments:

  1. Oooooh, the zoo! It always causes such childish glee and happiness to visit the animals there haha. Love the African wild cats, they're such pretty animals. Ooooh, and the green frogs!
    Now I want to visit our zoo...haha

    The Dragonfruit Diaries

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love this look! especially with the hot pink shoes! xx sylvie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, I love your travel posts dear, ephemeral or not :D I wish our Zoo was so rich in wildlife, and I wish they treated animals better.
    Love this gorgeous dress and the pink shoes, oh those pink shoes captured my heart like nothing else! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your dress. As for the zoos, I can never make my mind up about them....
    On one hand they help with species conservation and provide the kids with the place they can learn about animals. On the other hand, animals are kinda imprisoned. Mind you, some zoos have excellent facilities and animals have better and healthier lives than they would in captivity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohh, nice collection of animals, I like the flamingoes. Great hair and frock too. Has a traditional vibe to it. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you very much for such a sweet compliment, Jacqueline!

      Delete
  6. flamingopoisid näevad juba pildilt nii pehmed välja, et tahaks hirmsasti pai teha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. flamingod on üldse ühed uskumatud linnud minu meelest. neid võinuks seal pikalt-pikalt imetleda :) ja kui vinge oleks veel oma aias selliseid iludusi tsillimas näha!

      Delete
  7. Looks like such a nice visit to the zoo! I love going to the zoo since it's so interesting to see all the different animals and learning about them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cool new header and background! Have you designed them yourself? Beautiful floral dress :) Thanks for stopping by my blog Maiken!

    xxx
    E from Helsinki, Finland
    http://dragonflyelisabeth.blogspot.fi/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks a lot, Elisabeth! the background comes from shabbyblogs.com. they have the prettiest selection! but the header was originally created by another Estonian blogger/artist and I altered it a bit. it's still incomplete though, only a temporary solution :)

      Delete
  9. Oh, this is one of my favourite posts from you, because I love goign to zoos. We try to visit the local zoo when we are on holiday. Zebras and giraffes are my favourite animals aside from elephants. Your header is also looking lovely, as I've not seen it before. I wish you a wonderful rest of the week.
    /Madison
    Fashionary: Visual Style Tokens

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your pictures are always so good, I LOVE the one with the strange frogs and the turtles !

    But I'm always mixed about Zoos, how can we know that they(the animals) are really happy ? After looking "Blackfish" I just thought that I will never again put one foot in a zoo or aquarium... even if I love them :(

    ♥♥


    Ps: Chanel is pretty much really expensive here, you cant count 400$ the shoes..

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a pretty dress! and oh those animals are just adorable!! i totally like going to zoos and see animals i've never seen before.

    xo, Carla
    www.carlaviolet.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love those flamingos! <3 Thanks for stopping by my blog! :) How lovely that you wear your ring and bracelet every day! I would love to see them both!

    xxx
    E from Helsinki, Finland
    http://dragonflyelisabeth.blogspot.fi/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aw those beautiful flamingos, never had the chance to see some. Thanks God there is no pictures of snakes :/. Thinking about it, it's been a while since I've been to a zoo, I wonder why. Anyway.
    Hello Maiken how are you? I hope life is treating you kind!
    It's so nice to stop by and see a fresh new layout, I like it :).
    You know I always admire your photographs so don't expect me to come here someday and say anything negative about it because that would be lying haha.
    I particularly love your floral dress, a lot!
    Just had to say hello, take care :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is such a pretty dress! This looks like a fun little day

    ♡Tallia
    Trending In Fashion

    ReplyDelete
  15. love love love your dress! such wonderful photos! the zoo is always so fun :D

    http://katslovefashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh you make me want to go to the zoo! My favorite picture is of all the standing flamingos. And I am digging the new header!

    Mili

    ReplyDelete
  17. A 102 year old zoo?! That's amazing, the animals are really beautiful and look well taken care of. Lovely photos!

    onacruz blog

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love visiting zoos and I always run around in childish excitement looking at all the animals haha. The Flamingos are definitely my favourite, they are so colourful :).

    Ps - in response to your question on my blog, I'm currently working in social media, been doing it since June now :).

    Sarah xo | PolkaDotLemon

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my they all are looking so great and beautiful! I wonder when I'm gonna see these beautiful creatures there. Just like what you wish, I hope they all living happily (and healthy) too there!

    Love,
    http://g-carinoo.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for your kind comment concerning the photos on my blog :)

    xxx
    E from Helsinki, Finland
    http://dragonflyelisabeth.blogspot.fi/

    ReplyDelete