3.1.15

Christmas recap: part 1

Hey, everyone! Christmas is over and right now it seriously feels like it has been over for ages. Even the fluffy snow is all gone. Besides, as many wise Estonians say - now is the perfect time to start waiting for Midsummer Day or St John's Day and summertime in general. Therefore we are left with almost six more months to suffer patiently hang on but hey, it's not that bad actually and at least the days are getting longer and supposedly brighter too.

Anyway, I should probably get to the point now and reveal what today's amply illustrated post is all about. So, first of all today's photos were taken between December 21 and 26 and as you could assume from the title anyway there will be a sequel as well, a nostalgic, very snowy part 2.


But let's begin with an outfit from last year, December 21 (can you even believe 2014 is over??). E bought me the "Do what makes you happy" dress a week before snapping these photos. And it was meant to be something cosy I could just wear at home but I still decided to take it out for a spin in public. And I do not regret: generally I dislike lame-ass slogans on clothes (you know, "sexy", "babe", "my boyfriend is out of town" etc) but "do what makes you happy" sounds like something so simple and true, something we should all follow as much as possible.


So yes, it's a very simple look but I'm happy with the outcome. And did you notice my shortER hair?? I know it's actually not short but still a big deal when compared to the hair in my previous post for instance. Feels so much lighter and easier and brushing after washing doesn't rob an entire hour from me any more so I have to say it was a great success for sure. But of course I'm curious too - what do you guys think about it?

thrifted Guess sunnies | thrifted scarf | thrifted SNÖ of Sweden necklace | FB Sister dress | PTA coat | Sempre boots.

Now, the other half of today's photos is mostly Christmassy. We began celebrating Christmas Eve and conjointly my grandpa's birthday already around noon at my grandparents' place in the middle of the snowy woods. It was like hitting two birds with one stone although we only had one bird - a juicy Christmas goose. Anyhow, December 24 folded up at my parents' place with a generous Jamie Oliver themed Christmas dinner and of course we unwrapped lovely presents throughout the day. Hence you can catch a glimpse of part of our goodies but I will not post a thorough present list. I didn't even photograph everything... but Santa was very generous, that's a sweet fact!

our Christmas tree ↑, Elvis struggling with his tenacious present
some presents
snippets from our dining and living room

And last but certainly not least - happy new year, guys! Let 2015 be a happy, exciting, successful, beautiful, strong-minded and healthy year for all of us! I already fulfilled one of my long-time superficial material dreams and got myself a Michael Kors Jet Set Top-Zip Saffiano Leather Tote. It can be totally superficial but it feels great and this is what matters! Do what makes you happy, remember?
Anyway, as always, I hope you enjoyed the photos. Let me know what you think, and see you already in my next post!

18 comments:

  1. Happy New Year Maiken! I loved the pictures of your Christmas tree, it looks beautiful! I also liked the gift box from Finnish Stockmann, the paste looked so tasty! Thanks for stopping by my blog :)

    xxx
    E from Helsinki, Finland
    http://dragonflyelisabeth.blogspot.fi/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy new year, babe.
    Looks like you did quite well in terms of your presents. :D
    And, yes, occasionally we have to treat ourselves too. I did. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh, Christmas flashback! :)
    Haha, these photos made me feel all warm and cozy. Not the outfit ones, but the indoor ones ;)
    Love the outfit too though, the message on that tee is on point!

    The Dragonfruit Diaries
    Enter to win a FREE pair of glasses from Polette!

    ReplyDelete
  4. mul on ilmselgelt nii kahju, et jõuluaeg nüüd juba läbi on :( kuid vähemalt on lumi jälle maas. näis, kauaks... mis puutub materiaalsetesse unistustesse, siis üks korralik mahukas käekott kuuluks ka minu omade hulka praegu tegelikult puht praktilisuse mõttes, aga ma ei ole enda jaoks veel välja mõelnud, milline see täpsemalt olema peaks, ainult värv. sina jäidki siis selle Stockmanni roosa Michaeli peale kindlaks, millest sa kunagi rääkisid?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kusjuures mul on ka kahju, sest jõuluaeg tähendas ju lisaks muule pisikest puhkust ning mine sa tea, millal järgmine tuleb... ilmselt mitte nii pea :( aga jah, täpseks tooniks peaks kodulehe järgi vaadates olema deep pink. ja see on tõesti deep, üldse mitte ergas ega liiga silmapaistev või liiga roosa. just selline tasakaalukam toon, mis tundub minu garderoobis üpris universaalne ka olevat. no ja pärast nii pikka kaalumist, mõtlemist ja kümnete Stockmanni kottide edasi-tagasi tõstmist olen otsusega väga rahul (üks beežikas Moschino isend oli mu valik nr 2, aga too osutus ikka liiga heledaks ja materjal oli liiga pehme ja kuju liiga ebamäärane). aga sinu värvivalik on vist must?

      Delete
    2. mulle oleks ilmselgelt vaja, et kuskile mingi teavitus tuleks, kui keegi vastab, sest mul ei ole peaaaegu kunagi meeles tagasi vaadata blogidesse. no nüüd ma siis jätan sulle hunniku kommentaare lugeda siis :D mitte, et ma midagi ma ei tea, mis erilist kirjutaks, aga noh. ja värv on jah must ikka ja leidsin vahepeal sobiva kaaslase ka juba :)

      Delete
  5. That is such a great sweater dress! You look lovely. Hope you had a happy holidays and best wishes for the new year! x E

    Elizabeth Victoria Clark

    ReplyDelete
  6. You mean you don't have a sequin dress yet, right? :) Hehe! It's only a matter of time before I turn you over...Thanks for stopping by my blog Maiken!

    xxx
    E from Helsinki, Finland
    http://dragonflyelisabeth.blogspot.fi/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you too, for always stopping by and leaving those sweet little notes! :) and to be honest with you I have absolutely nothing against sequin dresses and if I had a suitable one I would definitely wear it too! so maybe someday :)

      Delete
  7. Oh, how looovely! The whole post is lovely and your pictures amazing as usual! So nice to see you so beautiful and that dress??? Wow, fantastic! I would love to have a dress or a T-shirt like that, but I don't have the same model body like you do! You look gorgeous! Well, it's unbelievable that it is already 2015... but yes, happy new year and also, thank you for the wishes! I thought snow would still be heavy there, but glad it is not! Well, guess what, I am in a sunny place and would like to swap - it's too hot. Can't wait to travel to winter again! It was so nice that you had Christmas and your grandpa had birthday! One of my brothers has birthday on the 20th, but it's not the same as Christmas :) I loved the pictures, the doooog, so sweet! And the beautiful bag - my favorite color! I hope we get to know more about each other through our posts and mails this year! And maybe one of us visit each other! Would be great!
    DenisesPlanet.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe, if you come to Estonia this year then it's possible to carry out this last thought but I myself unfortunately have no travel plans for this year.. other expenses are going to be big and I'm just not going to get my hopes up when it comes to foreign countries. but let me know if you're coming here - would be awesome to see! :)
      and of course thank you for the sweet comment! loved reading it! oh and today we do have snow, not heavy but moderate. and the temperatures have been even around -20°C this week so quite wintry and crispy indeed! haha and I would probably swap, only depends where you are right now ;)

      Delete
  8. Hey Maiken Happy New Year!!! It feels good to be stopping by your blog and catching up on your post x I love the new look x as always I have been a useless blogger,either rarely posting or not catching up on people's posts..busy with day to day life...but I have always been thinking,I really need to stop by maikens blog,see how she is..and more importantly what you've been buying :D
    I can see your well,and yes I'm not keen on those 'sexy' slogans:D my boyfriends out of town just made me laugh x
    Anyways I hope your well,E and elvis too x
    Take care and wish you all the best for the new year x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh hey, Kayleigh! I'm so happy to see you here again! honestly, I've been missing you! haha and of course I'm glad you at least thought about visiting but at the same time I totally understand you because I'm not the best blogger either :P
      anyway, thanks for stopping by and I also hope you and your man are having a wonderful 2015!

      Delete
  9. Your christmas tree is beautiful! And Elvis is so cute like always. I can't wait to see more of that red bag in future posts, it's such a vibrant and gorgeous shade! And I love the message on your dress :)

    Mili

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful photoset, Maiken! I totally laughed when I read the crossed out suffering line--I know exactly what you mean. It's absolutely frigid here! But you're right--we already passed the winter solstice so things should be looking up, in theory haha.

    That dress is a really thoughtful and meaningful gift! I also don't generally like printed sayings, but "do what makes you happy" is sound, classy advice. I always say this to my friends--for example, one of mine was considering a nose piercing but some of her friends thought it would look trashy. I just said exactly what your chic dress says! Some people criticize this advice because, well, what if drugs and excessive alcohol make someone "happy"? But in my opinion, while these things may produce an artificial happiness, they don't make you happy in the long run. So, case closed. It's good advice.

    Haha sorry about the ramble. Just some thoughts! Loving the beautiful red wall paper and the photos of Elvis are the cutest!

    Happy new year!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy New Year dear, may the new year bring you much much happiness and more relaxing times! :D Love this dress, I hate stupid slogans too.Why would I want to wear a t-shirt with the saying "Bad ass..." Wow, real original! I love the tree, it's so homey and the presents are so so many O_O
    I didn't even notice the hair until you pointed out :D Sorry! I still think it's awesome, and still long :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you Maiken for your kind comment on my blog! You know that pancakes are usually sweet, crepes can be sweet or salty and blini are always salty. So actually blini are not pancakes because they aren't sweet but still so good! :)

    xxx
    E from Helsinki, Finland
    http://dragonflyelisabeth.blogspot.fi/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe, blini actually ARE pancakes. they're just traditional Russian pancakes :) but I always say "pancake", doesn't matter if I'm talking about crepes or blini because they're all pancakes, thin or thick, sweet or salty. check Google if you don't believe me ;)

      Delete