30.1.15

Parliament stories

Hello hello! I know I've been such a lousy blogger. Again. And believe me, I'm not happy about it but life goes on anyway. And I do sincerely hope you still read (and perhaps sometimes even wait for...) my rare writings. Because at least one fresh winter outfit from January 24 is currently waiting for being published, plus an elder ensemble where I'm presenting my cute thrifted shirt dress (Mili, I practically promise I will certainly share that look!).

Oh and last Sunday I photographed quite a few new clothes and two pairs of shoes, pretty much all bar one thrifted. And if there are gardening fans among my readers - I will also show the seeds I've so far bought this year. And I'm so excited for the incoming gardening season and already can't wait to start sowing everything! Who's with me, guys??
Therefore, this is what's waiting for you in my next publications but today is a completely different day because...


On January 14 I paid a visit to the Parliament of Estonia in our capital town Tallinn with some of my colleagues. First of all the most persistent of us climbed 215 excruciatingly narrow and uncomfortable stone steps that lead us to the top of a watch tower called Tall Hermann. At the top of Tall Hermann, 95 metres above sea level our beautiful blue, black and white Estonian flag was hoisted for the very first time on December 12, 1918. Then, after decades of Soviet occupation it was hoisted again on February 24, 1989. That's our Independence Day. But to transmit at least fractions of the amazing panorama from the top of the tower I've added photos 1-4 here in this post. My favourite is the one above where my hair is totally gone with the wind!


Anyway, the climb was followed by a truly interesting and educational excursion inside the building of the Parliament which is one part of the Toompea Castle. By the way, that building is unique among all the parliament buildings of the world since it is the only expressionistic one out there. And to see some of the cool geometric, mainly triangular shapes and other details of the lofty assembly hall explore my first collage below.


Now, last but not least we could discover the Stenbock House - the Seat of Government and the Government Office of Estonia. And my little collage below shows you a glimpse of the Green Hall on the right. It is named after the colour of its walls and Empire style furniture upholstery and the Prime Minister uses this room for smaller consultations and for meetings with ambassadors.


Those groovy green bushes above, my favourite detail there, derive from the Government Session Hall, the largest room in the house. The Government of Estonia holds its weekly sessions there on Thursdays. We also visited the Office of the Prime Minister where I sat down on his statuesque chair that has served all of Estonia's heads of government. It sure felt special, hence my questionable look I guess. Oh and the very last photograph presents the spectacular view from the balcony of the Stenbock House.

So, I hope you enjoyed today's unusual photos and didn't mind studying fragments about the Estonian political buildings. As always, let me know what you think, and see you already in my next, probably more conventional post. Take care and stay warm and cosy!

23 comments:

  1. esimene pilt on tõepoolest veits vallatu :D ja kuigi jutt ja kohad on ju kõik tuttav, siis on pilte vanalinnast alati huvitav vaadata, kuigi mul hakkab miskipärast isegi kergelt külm seda tehes. Riigikogus käisin ma ise viimati vist kunagi algklassides...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ma polnud kunagi varem käinud. vähemalt ei mäleta küll, et oleks. aga tornis oli tõsiselt tuuline=KÜLM, nii-et selles on sul täitsa õigus. pärast käisime veel ühes Kreeka(pärases) söögikohas, kus oli samuti nii kõhe ja jahe, et mantel jäigi selga.

      muide, sellist asja polegi kuulnud, et viineripakk kedagi vigastaks. peab ettevaatlik olema, sest mul ka üks pakk parajasti kapis :D aga mul juhtus näiteks selline lugu, et käisin veresuhkrut mõõtmas ja pärast kuskil kuu aega see näpuots valutas päris korralikult.

      aa ja see veits jama tõesti, et ainult konkreetsele kommentaarile ei saa vastuse kohta teavitust meilile, vaid tulevad siis absoluutselt kõik kommentaarid, mis keegi sinna postituse alla jätab. igatahes, mis kott on siis see uus must??

      Delete
  2. So happy to see you back, Maiken! I totally understand how you feel about posts yet to be published--it always seems like I have too much material on my hands and too little time. But life's important!

    I love all these stunning architecture shots--our government buildings don't look nearly as grand. I'm reminded of movies from these photos. And your shot in the wind is stunning!

    Can't wait to see what else you have in store for us. Have a fabulous week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. your first paragraph - that's exactly how I usually feel when it comes to blogging!

      thanks a lot, Lily, and I really try my best to actually post everything I have planned to post :)

      Delete
  3. Beautiful photos of Tallinn, you have such a stunning capital! It's nice to be a tourist in a city you think you know inside out, right? Thanks for stopping by my blog :)

    xxx
    E from Helsinki, Finland
    http://dragonflyelisabeth.blogspot.fi/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh I have never thought I knew Tallinn inside out. that's impossible since I visit Tallinn less than 10 times a year. more like 5 times or something like that, hehe. I know very little about our capital town :)

      Delete
  4. If anyone understands having a hard time updating it's me! I'm sorry I haven't been around in a long time! I've missed this a lot. These photos are so beautiful! You look so great! That sounds like it was an amazing experience and it looks like it's so pretty inside there. The architecture is amazing!

    Francesca
    www.vintagelillies.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hello, stranger ;) welcome back! I already left my notes under your freshest post but once again - what a nice surprise to see your comment here! thank you for the sweet words, Francesca :)

      Delete
  5. Oooh...I recognize some of the panoramas from my own visit to Tallinn many years ago. I'm now thinking I would also like to visit your neighbouring country of Lithuania....so I can get one more Baltic place on my map. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh I would also love to visit Lithuania!!! so please take me with you, haha. jokes aside, definitely let me know when you're going!

      Delete
  6. Haha yes, I'm still waiting for the shirt dress look! I'm excited for the gardening season.. as I am excited to see my parent's garden. I struggle with keeping my basil plant alive lol. Is the building pictured in the 4th photo the parliament building? If so the exterior is just as stunning as the interior! Thanks for the mini history lesson on Estonia :)

    Mili

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. nope, it's the Alexander Nevsky Cathedral in the 4th picture but when you open that link http://www.riigikogu.ee/index.php?id=34590 you can also see the actual building of our Parliament. oh and I absolutely know I have to share the shirt dress look! :D

      Delete
  7. The photos look beautiful!! Tallinn seems to be a beautiful place as well, with amazing architecture! And I'm actually really curious to see the gardening posts, I love that idea :)
    And thank you so so much for your sweet comment! I answered it on my blog but since blogger doesn't notifies about comment replies, here it goes: I haven't watched Revenge yet, even though it seems a really popular tv show. But I want to start watching to see what the hype is about :) And yes, I agree that PLL can be a bit annoying because they're always extending the show without revealing who A is. It always seems that you're getting there but then, wait, there's more! I still really like the show though and watched a few episodes I had to watch this week. As for Klaus, yes, he's really disturbed but I guess that is what makes me like his character even more :)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe, actually Blogger does send a message when people leave comments after you but it sends messages about every single comment that follow your own comment. I still use it when I assume I will get an answer from that blogger I commented :)
      anyway, thank you for the sweet note, Joana, and I'll do my best to post stuff about the new gardening season! I will probably start sowing paprika and cauliflower already today!
      oh and when it comes to PLL I'm seriously starting to dislike that show more and more. pretty much everything annoys me when I watch it but somehow I still keep watching it, haha. but do give Revenge a chance! when it came out I thought it's pointless but then I started watching it and today I still love it a lot!

      Delete
  8. nice!
    follow to follow?
    http://defishencia.blogspot.ru/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for leaving such a nice comment on my blog Maiken! How come you haven't used your watches so much lately?

    xxx
    E from Helsinki, Finland
    http://dragonflyelisabeth.blogspot.fi/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1. their batteries are empty and 2. it's winter and I don't make any efforts to put together decent arm parties (a watch for me is a part of an arm party; when I want to know what's the time I check my mobile phone or computer) because those parties would be sadly hidden under a sweater, jacket, coat or something like that.

      Delete
  10. It's nice to see a post from you, and I thoroughly enjoyed the photos even about the political buildings. Your leopard scarf is also very cool. I wish you a wonderful week and Happy February. I can feel the chill from the last photo, although I am much looking forward to the beauty of spring in the coming months. xx/ Madison <3
    Fashion Tales

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry my dear for not writing to you for so long, I read your post and then forgot to comment cause I'm a retard! :D
    Wow, everything look so fancy and sophisticated, makes me wonder about our crappy Parliament :D You look ready to rule Estonia from that chair! :D The view from the balcony is spectacular, now I want to visit your country, from all your photos I've gathered it must be a very beautiful country!
    Can't wait for you next post and let us know how you are! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, woooow!!!!!!!!!! I am so glad that you posted now - my signal that you post is when you write to me :) You know, I think it will help if you add a subscribe to get new posts! I will be doing this soon, for the same reason - so that people get an email when I post, which is a bit sporadic, you know :) I am trying to get back to once a week, but I don't know. So the subscribe button will make me feel better - and I would love to subscribe to your blog!
    Dear Maiken, I simply looooooved to see your country and capital now! It's so beautiful, really! You look very beautiful, I also loved the picture with the wind, even before I read that it was your favorite! 215 stairs??? I would try my best! But the view is worth the stairs! It's marvellous! And the architecture of the Castle!!! You know I love architecture! And oh my word, you sat on the chair at the parliament!!!!!! It's a great honor, I think! I loved all the pictures and am longing to go to Estonia! You know last year I was nearly there!!! It's such a beautiful country and in some days it will be independence day to celebrate... amazing history!
    Hope you are fine and enjoying winter! I love it!!!!
    DenisesPlanet.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you Maiken for your kind comments on my blog posts! Believe me, out of the Nordics, Norway is definitely the most expensive country so Denmark is not nearly as expensive.

    xxx
    E from Helsinki, Finland
    http://dragonflyelisabeth.blogspot.fi/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Maiken. I am writing to you after long beacause I have been a lousy bloggger myself :D. The architecture looks amazing.The bits and bobs I've gathered about Estonia through you is actually ticking my brain to visit your country sometime soon.
    Also my favorite picture is the one where your hair blows with the wind :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm finally back! You aren't the only one who falls behind on blogging, believe me :) I would really love to visit Tallinn one day - I've always thought that it looks like such a beautiful and majestic city. Your photos certainly seem to be proving me right ;) I'm not a fan of wind and snow but in your capital city, even that seems to look charming!
    xox,
    Cee

    ReplyDelete