1.7.15

Summer vacation tales: part 1 (June 12-17)

Yikes, what a bad blogger I've once again been! But hey, I guess in my case it's pretty much inescapable because on top of everything else I'm often a pathological procrastinator. And you guys who still faithfully come here are probably already used to the situation. Or at least that's what I've been always telling myself. Maybe it's an illusion but as they say - hope for the best... well and prepare for the worst but I'm leaving that one out right now because it's time for the vacation tales! In other words this year's vacation numero uno is over, I'm back at work, already in full swing of things and seems like even more work is ahead of me.

So, let's start at the very beginning, i.e. June 12 which was my last day at work before the vacation. I celebrated my birthday with the colleagues: we had a tasty barbecue with plenty of salmon and the traditional birthday cake. And then I had to get my move on because my favourite hairdresser was waiting for me at the salon.

What did we come up with, you may wonder? Well, with short(er) hair, of course because I have completely lost my interest in the usual boring long. And I have absolutely no regrets! Shorter is lighter, undemanding and pretty much foolproof. Washing is easy, brushing is easy and shampoo and conditioner consumption is minimal too. I can only say one thing - triple yay for short hair! Oh and as usual, a bunch of blonde stripes was added on the roots and the few reddish ones were a cool gift. So, what do you guys think of the new look?


Anyway, I already brought up my birthday at work but I also celebrated it on June 13 with my parents and on June 17 with E's parents and sisters. What I didn't unfortunately do was taking photos. I only have one little collage with three shots of June 13's homely outdoor table and one shot of June 17's rustic indoor table which, believe me, was also generous (we even had cold and warm sushi, yum!) but I was too occupied to capture it. My initial goal was of course to photograph everything so I guess better luck next year? And by all means the most important part was to enjoy both family gatherings and that's exactly what we all did!


Now, today's biggest batch of photos dates back to June 16 when we visited E's grandparents and aunt in the tiny village of Kõmmaste in the middle of my favourite pine trees. You can look back on their rustic household and surroundings plus their birds and four-legged friends through this link if you're curious; there are my various blog posts from 2010 till 2014. Anyway, E's oldest cousin graduated elementary school and the graduation ceremony was held in their schoolhouse, glorious neo-Gothic Vasalemma Castle. I wish my schoolhouse looked like this back in the day... and once again I'm a little sad I didn't take any photos but you can see the stunner that was built between years 1890 and 1893 here.


By the way, the background of my numerous outfit photos is around another local sight, fascinating Rummu quarry (link) and it was on the brink of 8 p.m. when we took those shots, hence the cool light. Oh and I almost forgot to tell you the story behind my new cami and pants! So, when we left Jõgeva in East-Estonia the weather was really warm and even summery. Obviously we dressed accordingly. But then we drove some 150 km and got to North-Estonia where chilly autumn had rudely jumped the queue and since we didn't want to turn into two icicles we just had to rush to the nearest mall and grab something warmer (I originally wore a mini dress with that blazer). Surprisingly my set of two from HaILY*S (check out their girls' 2015 summer collection here!) cost reasonable €21.98 (cami €8.99 and pants €12.99) and I really dig both of those quirky pieces (E got a long-sleeved polo top to soothe the impact of his previous short ones).

Emporio Armani sunnies | thrifted Paper Dolls blazer | HaILY*S cami and pants | thrifted Claudia Bianca leather sandals | Guess leather bracelet | Guess heart bracelet (fresh b'day gift from mom and dad) | silver bracelet from E.

Okay, another lengthy post has been completed and that's just the beginning of my vacation tales series. Definitely be prepared for at least part 2 and part 3 hereafter because I have a lot to show and tell, hundreds of photos to choose from! And I think next time you're going to see even two outfits since I must somehow draw together all those mountains of photos. But for the time being I hope you enjoyed today's masterpiece. I'm looking forward to your thoughts on it and will enthusiastically proceed to your unread blog posts in my Bloglovin' list now. See you, guys!

18 comments:

  1. I loved your post, as usual! Where should I start? The shorter hair, it's fabulous! I loved the way it is now, it's really fabulous! You look so beautiful and I know you are young, but then you look even younger! I know, I am thinking of having mine cut for at least 5 years and never have the courage to do so! One day! I loved the party photos, although you said you couldn't take many - but the sweets in heart tins are lovely! And how amazing to visit the places you did, see family, go to that amazing castle (I clicked on the link) and so on! The weather is always tricky - nice that you bought the pants and cami! I looove the top, there are owls, so sweet! I think your vacations were brilliant and I am really looking forward to the next photos! So goo to have you back!
    DenisesPlanet.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much, dear Denise! your comments are always the ones that make my day :) and I seriously recommend you to gather your courage and try short(er) hair. I'm sure you will not regret it and it's truly liberating. especially when you have wanted it for 5 years! it's only hair and it will grow back anyway. and you can donate your hair if you want to :)

      Delete
  2. Haha, I really like the "pathological procrastinator", I guess I'm the same :) I love your new hairstyle, it looks great! I've been loving short hair too, I cut mine a few months ago and don't regret it at all! Plus, like you said, you don't need to spend so much time and products on your hair, it's a lot easier!
    Seems like you had amazing few days celebrating your birthday! And those desserts on the purple hearts looks so tasty :) Your outfit pictures look amazing as well, love the background and your pants, so cool!! :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you very much, Joana! I'm really happy you enjoyed the photos. and when it comes to the first paragraph of your comment - we could create "the pathological procrastinators' club" then! :D

      Delete
  3. sounds like fun & your style is cool :)

    danielle | avec danielle // giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omg, I love your hair!! This is what I want my hair to look like but I can't get the texture right. Happy (very) belated birthday! All the food looks so good and now you've got me hungry for sushi. I love the fun mix of prints you're wearing. My favorite is definitely the owl printed tank top! Also, I totally laughed at "pathological procrastinator." I'm one too ;)

    Mili

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, Mili! my hair is naturally curly/wavy so the hairdresser just blow dried it and added some spray, oil... I'm not 100% sure. I think I should also get myself some spray to repeat what she did. next time I will ask what products she used! oh and I'm positively surprised how many of my lovely readers are procrastinators like me! I thought I was alone :D

      Delete
  5. Happy belated birthday! I loooove the new hair :) The quarry is beautiful! Love your polka-dotted blazer :) -Audrey | Brunch at Audrey's

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE your hair! It looks so pretty! Also, I know what you mean, I am the definition of procrastination! It looks like your vacation has been nice so far, happy belated birthday! I always have the goal of taking more pictures of things, but I've come to realize that sometimes it's better to just live in the moment than worry about the pictures. It is always nice to have photos though! I love your outfit, that jacket is so cute! Nice post! It's Francesca from vintagelillies and I also wanted to tell you that I created a new blog! Here is the link if you would like to check it out!

    Francesca
    https://memoirecapsule.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey, Francesca! thank you so much for your sweet comment! I definitely missed those when you were away. and I will of course check your new blog right after posting this reply! by the way, you're so right when it comes to taking photos. we can't always do that and when we can't then we feel like something has been left undone. something important. it's always better to have those photos but life has its own course and we can't turn it back to change something.

      Delete
  7. i love the mix of prints!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, Maiken! So good to hear from you. It's funny how blogging works--I always expect to have more time in the summer, but it's almost actually the opposite! So I totally understand. Your vacation looks absolutely lovely--the sunset lighting and scenic backdrop is so peaceful. Those chocolates look scrumptious too! As for your outfit, what cool print mixing--I especially like those pants and that blazer because it's such an unexpected but chic combo.

    Best wishes always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, sweet Lily! I'm glad I'm not alone in this complicated blogging "situation". it's exactly the way you described it, 100% true! but I guess that's life, isn't it? :)

      Delete
  9. Oh, how great to see a post from you. I have to say, your hair looks lovey shorter. I love the polka dot jacket as well. I hope you have a wonderful rest of the month. <3
    Matcha Summer Treat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, Madison! I also think shorter looks better!

      Delete
  10. hakkan kohe soengu kiitmisest pihta, esimesel pildil kohe eriti! naljakas, mul on endal täpselt sama tunne juba päris pikka aega, tegelt vist lausa aasta, et tahaks juukseid lühemaks, kohe tunduvalt ja kõik samad põhjused, mis sa kirjeldasid. nüüd veidi enne lõpetamist võtsin hunniku maha ja tunne oli kohe kordades parem, aga nüüd hakkab juba tunduma, et tahaks veeeeeel. ehk I'm with you ja üldse tundub mulle, et mingi üldine lõikame-juuksed-lühikeseks-maania on hetkel, sest mul on ümberringi päris mitmed täpselt sama juttu rääkinud ja mõni on oma jutuga isegi tegudeni jõudnud, ma ainult jobutan veel midagi :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. eks värskelt juuksuri juurest tulnuna on sonks ikka kõige mõnusam. kodus olen ma selline pohhuist (või laiskvorst?), et pärast pesu kammin juuksed ära, kui väga hästi läheb, topin otstesse õli ka, aga sellega kõik piirdubki. muul ajal ma ei kammi neid, ei sea soengusse, ei kasuta mingeid modelleerivaid tooteid, ühesõnaga mitte midagi. ja siis nad näevadki välja sellised nagu enamikel piltidel :D aga lühikest soengut soovitan muidugi 100%! isegi kui mitte midagi nende sättimiseks ette ei võta, on tulemus siiski täiesti talutav. ja minu (pluss nii mõnegi teise) meelest sobib lühike mulle niikuinii paremini. usun millegipärast, et sulle ka, sest siiamaani pole ma kedagi sellist näinud, kellele ei sobiks :)

      Delete
  11. When you forget to take photos, it means you actually enjoyed your time so much you forgot :D This usually happens to me when I go somewhere on a trip, and mean to take photos for the blog, but never do :D
    New hair is amazing Maiken, it's so bouncy and pretty, short hair makes you look like a school girly girl, young and sassy! :D
    And these are my favorite shoes ever! Love seeing your different outfits with them!
    And a birthday with lots of salmon? Count me in!!! :D

    ReplyDelete