17.8.15

Road tripping: Vasknarva and Lake Peipus

Greetings, dear readers! Summertime hasn't allowed me to open my laptop during those few spare weekends we've had so at least there is someone or something to blame for my absence. As always, obviously. But today I'm going to talk about a slightly gloomy road trip we took already more than a month ago, on July 11 (wow, seriously, who knows where the time goes???). We discovered Vasknarva and its unique village atmosphere and tested the warm waters of Lake Peipus, the fifth largest lake in Europe.


So, let's start with a few facts and illustrative material. Vasknarva is a tiny village located at Lake Peipus, next to the head spring of the River Narva. Entirely 830 people lived there in 1934 but in 2011 the number had decreased to modest 40. So it indeed is one very small and very special community. The village has a very tight little shop (see below, next to the last church photo), a castle (or actually parts of it) and an enormous, very fancy church.

The castle was built between years 1427 and 1442 and it had extraordinarily thick limestone walls (even 2.6-3.6 m!). From my photos below you can see some parts of the historical ruins. Amazingly thick walls indeed, don't you think? And on the opposite river bank behind me there is Russia and its Skamja village.


The very fancy and grand Orthodox sanctuary is called the Church of St Elijah the Prophet and it also holds a small nunnery. The church has such a beautiful and well-designed garden and even a sweet little apple orchard. But as mentioned before the weather was hazy and rain wasn't far from us so unfortunately I didn't get too many photos.


And then, last but most certainly not least we dipped our toes in the warm waters of Lake Peipus. Its empty, silent beaches are always breathtakingly beautiful. And although we didn't swim there this time I already have another batch of Lake Peipus photos from August 8 when we spent a lovely lunch hour there, swimming and sunbathing and simply enjoying the true Estonian summer August has finally offered us.


So I hope you guys enjoyed the photos (the last one makes me drool like a dog right now). And if all goes well I will probably put together a decent haul post for the next time. Cool thrift shop treasures, unexpected fancy prizes from Facebook, sale finds, a few beauty products and even more! I just have to somehow dig through the numerous photos and make it happen. Oh and one more important thing before I go. Beginning from tomorrow it's vacation time! Almost three weeks of freedom, countless plans, events and road trips, woo-hoo! See you in the next post!

11 comments:

  1. This amazing, dear Maiken, I love to read your travel posts! This one is no exception! Vasknarva seems to be so amazing, cozy, and wow, more than 800 people before and now just 40??? Impressive! I loved the stone church and the biiig amazing church - I love churches - and the garden, that has even an apple orchard! Also, to know that lake Peipus is the 5th biggest in Europe, I like to know these facts! Ok that you didn't swim now, but at least you could enter there a bit - and I loved your top! The food looks excellent - I love French fries and salad! I am now looking forward to the haul session, I love to see the things you buy, you always find the best deals!!!! And yay, happy vacations' time!!! Three great weeks, I am sure!
    DenisesPlanet.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, old churches are my catnip. Haha, I find it so intriguing to explore old buildings!
    Love the shots of you running through the water too, so playful and happy - makes me want to visit the beach again.
    Mmmmm, now you got me drooling too...haha, fooood!
    Hope you're doing well :)

    The Dragonfruit Diaries
    Check out my YouTube channel too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Despite the rain, I think the photos from Vasknarva and Lake Peipus are lovely! The architecture of the church is really beautiful, and I love the cool blue colors of the beach. Your colorful outfit is a burst of sunshine on the cloudy day :) I'm always happy to hear that you've been enjoying your trips--I know I've certainly been updating less frequently, but that's no matter as long as we're living it up in real life.

    Please enjoy your vacation for me (and eat more gorgeous food)!

    imperfect idealist

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing these charming photos! I love how beautiful the church looks, and the pictures of the lake!

    Natalia | Lindifique

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maiken! It's been a WHILE ! I can't believe how fast the time goes..
    As always, you take amazing pictures of the cities that you visit, and you just make me wanna go there ! (and, you also made me hungry with your last picture :P)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, yes, a very small community indeed -- but how special it is as well. I like these photos and the food looks great. Wishing you a great rest of the week. x/Madison
    The Travel Deluxe

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your travel photos are always so amazing! I'm envious of people who live in Europe, it seems like so many amazing sights are only a train ride or short plane ride away. Here in the States, you can drive for hours, and still be in the same state!

    Angelina Is | Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vasknarva looks like a lovely little town and it's crazy how it decreased in population so drastically over those years!! That last photo makes me drool like a dog too, haha :) It looks so tasty! Hope you have a great time during your summer holidays :) x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful photos! And meatballs are always a good idea :) Thanks for stopping by my blog Maiken!

    xxx
    E from Helsinki, Finland
    http://helsinkidragonfly.blogspot.fi/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Maiken!

    It's comforting to see that I'm not the only one who struggle to post on my blog aha ! It's really hard to find balance between job/blogging and personal life..

    But I'm still impatient to read your next blog post ♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Maiken for making it to my blog, and leaving me such a kind comment! I hope you have a great week ahead :)

    xxx
    E from Helsinki, Finland
    http://helsinkidragonfly.blogspot.fi/

    ReplyDelete