2.8.15

Summer vacation tales: part 2 (June 25 in Cēsis, Latvia)

Hey! It's finally time for the late part 2 of our summer vacation tales and today's blog post is almost entirely dedicated to Cēsis, a charming Latvian town that got its town rights astonishing 809 years ago (for comparison-my own hometown just celebrated its 77th birthday). And by the way, our summer vacation, conjointly the first vacation of 2015, ended approximately a month ago. But today we are already coming close to our second, even longer holiday, unfortunately also the last one this year. I know I certainly need it because life lately has been one crazy eventful roller coaster and therefore considerably exhausting as well.


But let's talk about Cēsis now. The first 8 photos and collages show you Cēsis New Castle (built in the 18th century by using the forepart of the Medieval Castle walls and defense towers), Cēsis Medieval Castle (built in the 13th century) and the beautiful, scenic Castle Park. The Medieval Castle ruins are some of the most impressive castle ruins in the Baltic states and I always wonder how the hell did people back then build such amazing castles with their bare little hands? I know they did, obviously, but I still can't quite imagine how. Anyway, we could climb down to the basement of the southern tower and see a real medieval prison for example, cold and bleak. The prisoners had to be slim by the way because the way down was really tight and not everyone could fit in there. It certainly was a thrilling experience for us!


And the Castle Park was truly delightful. I especially loved that fine carved dollhouse style pavilion and the wide staircase (built in 1936) bordered with R. Aboltins' romantic sculptures. We also met somebody at the park. He was with an old lady but felt like breaking free and so he vigorously did. He ran around like crazy and marked every single tree he possibly could. When the lady started anxiously calling "Putsi! Putsi? Putsi!" we knew who that awesome bundle of joy was.


Next 8 photos and collages show you how we took a quick walk in the Old Town, stole a glance at the Square of Roses and St. John's Church. The latter, by the way, is one of the oldest medieval monuments in Latvia, built at the beginning of the 13th century. And there is this beautiful illuminated fountain in the centre of the Square of Roses. Too bad we didn't see it in the dark this time. Or actually now we have at least one good reason to return because Cēsis is really worth discovering. It has the most beautiful parks with cool fountains (I love fountains!), ducks and black swans (May Park for example). And the Old Town feels incredibly cosy and fascinating. I hope my photos reflect what I was trying to describe here.


But that's not all! We also visited a place called Big Hell (or Great Hellhole or Liepa's Hell), a slightly tinted sandstone cave that has emerged as a result of mechanical rock erosion. It was first mentioned in 1791 but the cave is actually one of the oldest tourist attractions in Latvia, possibly even more than 7000 years old! And it's an ancient cult site too.

amber necklace from Cēsis, Latvia | thrifted nümph dress | thrifted vest | thrifted Beverly Feldman shoes | thrifted Zara TRF faux leather jacket | Emporio Armani sunnies.


So, through my last photo you can even peek our kitchen and of course our Latvian purchases that are almost 100% edible and drinkable. Except my amber necklace from Cēsis and my brand-new Cēsu beer glass (because E broke the one I brought along from Prague). I hope you enjoyed this very photo heavy post and I'm always looking forward to reading your thoughts. My next post will probably reflect another road trip we took sometime in July so see you then!

15 comments:

  1. I looove your travel posts, because now I want sooo much to go to Latvia, Cesis! Last year I nearly went to Latvia, but thankfully not, because I would have missed this city - and now I know it through you, and want to much to go there, as I said! The castles, the rock erosion, the sculptures, all so amazing! 809 years old, the oldest medieval monument in Latvia, so many nice things to see and do! And I loved the streets and the wooden houses! I simply loved this post and the views! I am so glad you got to travel, and yes, life is such a roller coaster... and you look so beautiful - the amber necklace is so sweet and the dress you are wearing, too! Putsi had a great time, I bet! I am so looking forward to your next post! Now I hope you have a great week, dear friend!
    DenisesPlanet.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much, Denise! I'm really glad you enjoyed the post and I hope you get to visit both, Latvia and Estonia soon! in addition to Cēsis you should also visit another Latvian town called Valmiera. I have written several blog posts about it so if you're interested you can look them up through the search thingy :)
      oh and by the way, the name of that sweet little doggie means something dirty in Estonian :D

      Delete
    2. I knew there would be a reply :) So I came here! I remember Valmiera in your posts, and I would gladly follow your recommendation :) And I suppose I know what it means in Estonian... oh my word, hahaha, why would someone name a dog that way? Even in another language! Anyway, I have to say, "cow" in German is kuh. And that in another language is not OK :) So I guess it's the same, people can't think of a proper name, cause in one language it will mean something strange :) I hope you have a very nice weekend, dear Maiken!

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful town! It reminds me of this charming mediaval town I visited in Provence in France. It is so interesting and intriguing to think about how the people in the middle ages built all these amazing places. What a wonderful adventure! You look beautiful, very stylish!

    Natalia | Lindifique

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh I would love to visit that town in France! one day, I hope :)
      thank you for the lovely comment, Natalia!

      Delete
  3. Castles have always fascinated me, perhaps because you can't find them here in the US. The fact that the town is over 800 years old is mind boggling! I also can't imagine how they built all this with their bare hands. No electric anything! The town and castle both look so charming. Thanks for sharing this piece of Latvian history with us :)

    Mili

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yay, I'm so happy you enjoyed the post and even the history! :) thank you very much, Mili!

      Delete
  4. I really love your photos, they're so pretty! I especially like your crochet vest too.

    Sincerely,
    Sabrina

    ReplyDelete
  5. The place looks gorgeous! Love your photos! :)

    Aizzing
    www.icingandwrite.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. The place looks gorgeous! Love your photos! :)

    Aizzing
    www.icingandwrite.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have so many amazing photos! Big Hell seems like a really cool place to visit, I've always wanted to take photos in a cave like that.

    Angelina Is | Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful photos! The amber necklace is stunning, I wish I would have something like that - and the edible souvenirs look delicious! Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving such a kind comment :)

    xxx
    E from Helsinki, Finland
    http://helsinkidragonfly.blogspot.fi/

    ReplyDelete
  9. As I already said in my previous comment, perfect pictures ! (the one of the little doggy made me laugh a lot XD)

    And your look is really lovely ♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. This place looks gorgeous, as well as your pictures!! I would love to visit Medieval Castle and that cave looks so cool, such an interesting name too! And that dog, he seems so happy and carefree haha :) x

    ReplyDelete