20.9.15

Summer vacation tales: part 3 (very various flashbacks from August 17-31)

Oh wow, what an endless journey creating this post has been for me! Absolutely outrageous! An entire month has zipped by and at least a million important things have happened meanwhile. And I'm not even significantly exaggerating when I'm talking about a million things so let's better start from the very beginning.


First of all a day trip to Northern Estonia on August 20 to visit E's maternal grandparents in the middle of countless beautiful pinetrees and heather, colourful cowberries and blueberries, galore junipers and more. As a matter of fact, if I had to name the most perfect countryside I have ever seen I would definitely name that place.

We wandered in the sunny woods with two little black "sausages", picked berries (and of course froze some for the colder seasons), socialized with the bird commune and also saw the beautiful, roughly eight centuries old Church of the Holy Cross in Risti. All in all a day well spent. And guys, one day we will also have a chicken commune, mark my words.


Now, secondly comes another day trip to Northern Estonia on August 22 but this time to see E's paternal grandparents in tiny Järvakandi. And as a random but really cool bonus I could also be a decent, cultured person there. I and E's sisters attended an exhibition called HETK ("hetk" in Estonian="moment" in English), which is an annual exhibition of the Estonian Glass Artists' Union. And I seriously loved the experience! Below you can see only some of my favourite works of art with the names of their talented authors. Aren't they fantastic?


And thirdly comes a mandatory group of miscellaneous photographs from August 18 to 31 (because I still haven't made it to Instagram?).
1 - The portrait of a nose which belongs to my favourite animal character in the whole world.

2 - That dude guarding my herbs and flowers (fine, actually I just told him to pose like that).

3 - A little something from our very own greenhouse.

4 - Gatherers' life - I and E made two batches of our own ketchup which tastes amazing, I stored some very flavourful parsley and prepared that tasty cucumber salad together with my mom.

5 - Something cool from Tartu, taken through E's Touareg's windscreen.

6 - A foggy early morning in our backyard on the last day of August.

For your information - today's post is just the tip of the iceberg and so much more is tensely waiting for its turn. More than four vacation outfits, a couple of beach reports, another cool trip to Latvia, more miscellaneous snaps and of course the mixed haul I've been so far perhaps too enthusiastically promising to share.

By the way, we've been back to work for two weeks now and time is seriously flying! I've been projecting waterpipes and sewer pipes in addition to organizing another public procurement for my other employer. I also wrestled with a terrible cold and sold one of my cars and almost cried because of it (letting go was slightly difficult but I obviously managed because I believe my loyal (almost 8 years together!!) friend will have a sweet oldster life on our biggest island).

And here's another fun fact for you - I and E finally got married on September 5 and I received a new last name!! Well and last but not least we're currently renovating our balcony and planning a new, 18.5 m² bathroom/utility room and already did some huge, almost backbreaking preparations. So how does it all sound to you? I myself modestly believe it's worth waiting for and I'm definitely anxious to share it with you guys so I guess we'll see in my next post, yes? Bye bye for now!

24 comments:

  1. Wow, dear Maiken! I was going to say that I was waiting for this post so much, and that you don't have to worry not having time to the blogosphere, but that lost importance after the news!!! You git married, congratulations! I am sure it was a nice ceremony and that you will be even happier! Wish I could have sent you a gift, but that will wait for the next year, if you don't mind - after I finish this year music college :) I am so happy for you, honestly, and balcony renovation is nice! North Estonia looks great and the two sausages too :) I liked the outfit you were to walk! Also, guess who is planting things here? I now have a pine tree growing :) pepper, basil and rue :) I loved to see the things you planted and they look so healthy! The friend next to the vases is sooo sweet! Also nice your looks to the exhibition - I now learned an Estonian word, Hetk! :) I hope you have a very nice week, my dear friend, and I am really very happy for you! Looking forward to the next post!
    DenisesPlanet.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much, dear Denise! for every sweet word and kind thought. it means the world to me. gosh and how cool that you've been planting so much! I would love to see your little collection in a blog post one day if you don't mind :) take care and enjoy the rest of the week!

      Delete
  2. heh, nii tore, et sa ka laisavõitu blogija oled, siis ei ole megapalju postitusi tagantjärele lugeda :D aga ma vist polnud päris nii ammu Bloglovinis käinud, et ta näitas mulle ainult viimast postitust sinult... jaiks, see peab siis pikk aeg olema küll. muidu mõnusad suvepildid, taks marju nuuskimas on eriti vahva :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, mul on ka alati kuidagi hea meel, kui teised väga kõvasti postitustega ei pommita sel ajal, kui ma ise blogimislainel parajasti pole. ja enda kohta ma ütleks pigem "halb blogija", sest laiskuse taga (õnneks) midagi seekord ei seisnud :D

      Delete
  3. Northern Estonia looks so beautiful, like something you would see in a Disney movie! It's so green and lush and serene looking :) The glass pieces at that exhibition are also breathtaking, I especially love the piece by Mare Saare. As always, Elvis is looking so cute. And congrats on getting married!! :D

    Mili

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you very much, Mili! I'm really happy you enjoyed the post!

      Delete
  4. Ha ha your little black "sausages" are too cute for words. I could eat them right up. :P What kind of herbs do you grow? I have Thai basil at the moment. :]

    // ▲ itsCarmen.com ▲

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have two different kinds of thyme, two different kinds of sage, rosemary, oregano and probably something I didn't point out right now... balm and peppermint for example. but unfortunately no basil which is a shame so next year I will definitely seed some!

      Delete
  5. So many beautiful photos! Can't wait to see the rest! I love those little two black "sausages" haha, they're so cute! Your dog, too. I guess he's a great model haha :)
    Congratulations on getting married, I'm really happy for you! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for all the sweet words, Joana. Elvis also says thanks ;) and I'm very happy you liked the photos :)

      Delete
  6. Congrats on getting married! Omgosh all the dogs are adorable and the shot of the forest trail is so peaceful! I wish I can go on vacation right now!!

    Macarons and Mischief

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey Whitney, thank you for your comment! I'm also already dreaming about more vacations, can't help it! must wait until next year for that though, probably at least 8 or 9 months :|

      Delete
  7. many inspiring I can get from all your pictures, and I love that tone too...
    very inspiring post:)

    keep in touch from Borneo, Indonesia...
    visit Style with Story • | instagram •

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, Maiken! So good to read a post from you. These day trips sound so lovely--the shot of the woods feels so serene, and I love the colors in the shot with the earthy orange roof. The glass art is so intricate--visiting galleries is always a good dose of culture and awe!

    Elvis is a lovely model, and your garden is so successful. Your tomatoes look so healthy, with vibrant colors. I'm impressed that you make your own ketchup!

    It is always tough to let go of things that have been with you through so much. I may have to sell my bike at the end of this year since I have nowhere to store it at school, and I'm getting emotional at the thought--we've had it for 10+ years, and I've been using it for a good chunk of that. I'm sure your car is in good hands though!

    HUGE congrats on your marriage! How wonderful to make it official. I wish you and E many more happy, loving years together.

    It sounds like you'll be bustling around with work and renovations--I admire you're always on the go. Best of luck, Maiken!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow, Lily, you always know how to make someone's day! thank you SO much for all the sweet and kind and thoughtful words and wishes!
      I hope selling that bike will not be too tough on you. it's easy to say but you just have to think that it's awesome when something so dear to you will be useful to somebody else when it can't be useful to yourself anymore. that's the way I take it the best :)

      Delete
  9. Well, firstly a massive congratulations to you on being a bride. I love all of these photos and bits of your summer. The fresh produce is my favourite, it's always so rewarding when you can grown your own and eat it knowing where it came from. :) Wishing you a great weekend. Thanks so much for your thoughtful comment./Madison
    FASHION TALES

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, Madison, for all the kind words! I'm really happy you enjoyed the post and my photos. and I feel exactly the same way when it comes to growing your own produce - it's the best feeling ever when you can eat fresh, delicious vegetables from your very own garden :)

      Delete
  10. Congratulations on getting married! That is HUGE! I can't wait to see a glimpse of your special day! All of these photos are stunning, especially the ones from the forest and Tartu! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    xxx
    E from Helsinki, Finland
    http://helsinkidragonfly.blogspot.fi/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey, Elisabeth! thank you so much for your kind wishes and I'm really glad you enjoyed the photos. I've also been thinking about making that wedding post ;)

      Delete
  11. Oooh Maiken congratulations on your marriage ♥♥♥ I'm really happy for you, and I'm happy to read new posts on your blog, I missed them!

    The pictures that you take always makes me wanna travel, Estonia seems to be such a beautiful country (I admit it, I thought that it was just cold and always frozen..)

    Then I LOOOVE sausage dogs, I had one (which lived a really long life, 18 years old !) and they are soo cute and funny. But I could have hundreds of animals, I love them so much (you see that old lady with 18 cats ? Well, it's probably me in the future aha!)

    You garden is also really pretty, and once again your little doggy is really too lovely !

    With lots of love from Belgium ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow, thank you thank you thank you! reading your comment totally made my day right now! you should travel to Estonia one day and see for yourself how it is. preferably during summer of course ;)
      wow and 18 years - that's amazing!!! it's 126 in humans' years! dogs are seriously our best friends and I would love to have two or three of them but well, not a great idea when you also want to travel for example. our Elvis turned 5 this March by the way.
      and once again, thank you, dear Catherine! ❤

      Delete
  12. God I missed your posts!!!! I am soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo happy you guys got married *insert girly scream* Eeeeeeeeek!!! ^_^ I can't wait to see all the awesome stuff you've been up to these past couple of weeks, and omg the greenhouse is producing some delicious stuff right there O_O I want to visit you someday, I feel like you live in my dream home :D
    The wood trail is like from Once Upon a Time tv series :D And btw, is that ketchup or is it a thing we Bulgarians do called liutenica? We make it with tomatoes, peppers, salt and sugar and the red stuff in those jars looks very much like it. I would also love to have a chicken place to put my chickens :D I love chickens, they're so stupid it's funny :D Plus they're half dinosaur! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww, I've missed you too, Keit! and thank you very much for that awesome comment and congratulation wishes. and it would be even more awesome when you actually visited me in "your dream home" here in Estonia. do know that I'm waiting for you so put it in your schedule! :D
      anyway, I think the substance we made is ketchup, not ljutenica but I saved a ljutenica recipe for next year so thank you! the recipe we used is here. it's in Estonian but it contains tomatoes, red onion, brown sugar, salt, (red wine) vinegar, fresh oregano, peppercorns, mustard seeds, cinnamon stick, nutmeg, laurel leaves and clove. it tastes absolutely amazing! and you can also add chili or jalapeño if you want. it still tastes awesome.

      Delete
  13. Adorable dogs. I really love this place. Thank you to share your photos with us :)

    ReplyDelete