8.10.15

Summer vacation tales: part 4 (September 3 in Latvia and a teeny-tiny Latvian haul)

Hey everyone! First things first - thank you SO much for all the kind and sweet congratulation wishes you left under my last post. You guys are seriously awesome!
As you know I'm an honest woman now and I'm sort of thinking about making a small recap of our beautiful wedding. What,
where, when, how and other typical questions should all be well covered then. And of course a modest selection of my favourite wedding photos would also be included! So, what do you guys think about the idea? Sounds tempting?

But now about today's thematics and for starters a few words about a tiny day trip to Latvia where this time our route was Valmiera-Mazsalaca-Rūjiena. We had two preplanned shopping destinations in Valmiera: Valleta and Depo. Both are our good old favourites and below you can see the three fashion related goodies I bought from Valleta: Jenny Fairy ankle boots (€24.95; browse their fresh, super affordable collection here and see my booties here), Zapping Milano blouse (€15.99 6.50; original product here) and Amisu ballerinas from New Yorker (€4.95).


By the way, about those ballerinas. I bought the very same pair in silver from Rakvere already in August and since they were so incredibly comfortable and soft I also immediately needed them in pink. But all the pink ones I saw in Estonia were too small for my enormous number 39 (sometimes even 40) foot so a big yay for me for finding the last pink pair in my size from Latvia. And as a little bonus I'll also share a quick rainy day outfit from September 2 with you because of those silver ballerinas. Which you can't see here very well but then I simply assume I can count on your imagination. Because I can, right?

Lindex necklace | thrifted Noa Noa blouse | thrifted Zara TRF faux leather jacket | thrifted midi skirt | Amisu ballerinas.

Anyway, back to September 3 in Latvia. Our next destination was a small town called Mazsalaca which had a really charming old school vibe. I mean, just look at the fascinating earthy architecture and that honest farmhouse with all its smugly cats in the middle of ordinary apartment buildings. I enjoyed the overall atmosphere of Mazsalaca so much! Oh and we visited a local thrift shop where my husband randomly came across an authentic first aid kit from 1944! The kit cost 1 ridiculous euro so it obviously came home with us.


I must also mention the 95 km long river flowing through Mazsalaca - it's called the Salaca and its banks feature beautiful Devonian red sandstone cliffs, many caves and rapids. And it's one of the best salmon rivers in Latvia! (salmon=my favourite fish in the whole world) We did see some of it but not The Skaņākalna Nature Park that stretches for three kilometres down the left bank of the Salaca. So I strongly believe we should return and check it out someday when it's warm and summery again.

Guess Jeans tank top | Adidas jacket | DETROIT denim by Lindex jeans | Maxima sneakers | thrifted Longchamp bag.

And thirdly we briefly visited Rūjiena to stock up on some Latvian beverages and eatables and eat Rūjiena's very own ice cream and Liepkalni bakery's delicacies. We both absolutely loved the silky ice cream and fresh-baked pizza buns! As a matter of fact I would gladly like to have some right now if it only was possible...

Anyway, before thoroughly going back to our homeland I just had to see The Baltic Way monument on the border of the two countries. The author of this distinctive monument is Latvian artist Andris Dunkurs who works with metals. And my dear foreign readers who don't know what The Baltic Way is - I strongly recommend you to read about it here, it's definitely one of those historical events that are worth being aware of.


Wow, I honestly thought about putting together a quick and short story and originally even planned to connect it with my thrift shop treasures haul. But I guess plans are for fools after all and those treasures will just have to wait for their turn a little longer. Or a lot longer, who knows. But I do hope you enjoyed today's post and photos and don't forget to let me know what you think about the wedding post idea. Happy October and see you in the next post!

18 comments:

  1. Dear Maiken, yes yes yes, the wedding post please! When I read about it, I thought it would be today, but I have to wait! Ok, so I will wait for that! I am sure it was lovely! Now, this trip to Latvia, so amazing! I loved all the things you showed: your shopping, the architecture you photographed, the cats! All so sweet! The beautiful booties for less than 25, amazing! And the ballerinas, and that amazing shirt (I love this kind of shirt!) I loved the dress and jacket that you are wearing in some pictures and anyway, all you showed, as I said, is amazing! I would love to visit these places and to have the ice cream :) and pizza too :) Ah, and the box from 1944 for 1 euro! That's a win-win situation! I am so excited to see the wedding pictures that I may have sounded a bit crazy now :) OK, so, I am waiting :) Hope you have a lovely day, dear Maiken, you look amazing in every pictures!
    DenisesPlanet.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you thank you thank you, dear Denise! I'm very happy you enjoyed the post! I always am after reading your kind comments. and I will start working on the wedding post as soon as possible, that's a promise!

      Delete
  2. Wow, Rujiena looks lovely! Gorgeous shots from there :D
    And no way, a vintage first aid kit? that's so awesome - nice score!
    Also, a belated congrats to you and your husband! <3

    The Dragonfruit Diaries
    I'm on the Tube!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eeee, I'm seriously loving the chic silhouette of those boots--classic with an edgy twist. I also totally resonate with you in your search for those shoes. It seems that once I find the perfect pair and it wears out, the model completely disappears. Good for you to find those cute flats--I love the pastel color and the way you paired them with that striped pastel skirt. The edgy leather jacket is the perfect fierce touch.

    I am always so envious of your cool thrift finds--a kit from 1995 is such a fabulous piece full of history. The towns you visited are so quaint as well--I love the bucolic scenes and I especially like that shot of the forest and the water. Your images are full of color and life!

    imperfect idealist

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, sweet Lily. I always enjoy your observant, thorough comments. that first aid kit is actually from 1944 so it's 71 years old! I will take some photos when my husband finally organizes the kit and its contents.

      Delete
  4. Well, duuuuuh, I'd looove to see some wedding photos!!!! Come on, chop chop, do you thing and post already! :D
    These pink flats are soooo adorable, I like the booties, but the flats absolutely caught my heart!
    AAAAwww, I wanna see the first aid kit :( I'm a sucker for everything first aid and survival :D
    I'd love to live in that farm house with so many kitties!
    Haven't heard of the Baltic Way so gonna go and google that :D

    Haven;t heard of the Baltic Way

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you should already know my blogging tempo which is... well, slow but I'm going to make that wedding post, whatever it takes from me! and I will photograph the first aid kit when my husband has organized it a bit. the contents is pretty cool by the way!

      Delete
  5. Oh I LOVE the idea of a wedding post !! (I have to say that I hoped that you'll write one ♥)

    First, I love your booties, (but I'm kind of a booties obsessed soo..) and you made me laugh about the pictures with the ballerinas, they are really pretty!

    (Btw, if you think you have a huge foot, I can say the same aha)

    Your pictures of landscapes makes me think of movies, it's really really beautiful ! I hope, if one day I'll come to Estonia, that we could meet and you could show me your beautiful country ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you very much, dear Catherine. today's post is about our adjoining state Latvia which lies in south of Estonia but of course I would be more than happy to show you my country! and I also hope one day I can visit yours.

      Delete
  6. The Jenny Fairy boots are my favourite, Yes, would love to see the wedding photos, I'm sure they are wonderful too. That's very cool about the First Aid kit and of course a great deal. Love the elements in this diverse post. Hope you enjoy the rest of your week. x/Madison
    Workout & Inspire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, Madison! I'm happy you enjoyed the post!

      Delete
  7. mis toredad kiisukesed! :) no ja see monument on ilmselt küll midagi sellist, mida eestlasena võiksin ka oma silmaga juba näinud olla, aga ei ole ja listi ta läheb. siuke turistikas pilt tuleks ka ikka ära teha ju :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ma ei tea, kuidas ma tolle päevani sellest monumendist midagi kuulnudki polnud. aga lõpp hea, kõik hea, eksole. ja lätis on alati tore käia, nii-et teie kaks, ruttu-ruttu neid turistikaid tegema! :D mul igatahes ootab uus läti materjal juba pikas järjekorras blogisse pääsemist.

      Delete
  8. It would be lovely to see your wedding photos if you decided to share! The Zara jacket you thrifted is such a great find. The moto details make it so edgy and cool. Your trip also looks awesome! The photos you took of the river and of the nature park were so beautiful. I wish I could teleport myself there!

    Mili

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and I wish I could teleport myself there where you live. of course during the warm, summery times. it's so bad we can't actually do it because I'm sure it would be absolutely awesome to take some outfit shots together!

      Delete
  9. lovely pictures! i would loooooove to see a wedding coverage, that would be enchanting <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful photos. This blouse is gorgeous and the nature is so pretty :)

    ReplyDelete