22.10.15

We got married - part 1

It was year 2012 when E popped the big question, roughly four years after we first met in oh so distant 2008. So this year, all of a sudden three short years of engagement had imperceptibly passed by and one summer day we just decided to finally deal with it. On July 24 we handed over our joint written application and received the date of our marriage - September 5, 2015 - in return. Then we had six busy weeks to arrange absolutely everything - invitations, rings, clothes, shoes, bridal bouquet, hairdo, make-up, photographer, restaurant, transportation, afterparty... and probably something I just forgot to point out right now. And when I think back it was actually a piece of cake for us and our loved ones who gave us their helpful hands when we needed them. And we did spend a wonderful day together.


So let's begin with rings, clothes and shoes. We bought our white and yellow gold wedding rings from Goldtime during a 20% off campaign for loyal customers (my mother-in-law was the loyal one, not us). I snatched my beautiful Ted Baker dress from Stockmann during another considerable sale (€309->€120) and my rose gold Angelo Carutti ballerinas from Tartu Kaubamaja were a sale find as well (€39.99->€20). My delicate gold earrings were borrowed from mom. And I also had a gorgeous thrifted George coat (€2!!) but unfortunately I'm not wearing it on any of the photos I have right now so I guess I just have to show it to you later.

E, on the other hand, had to buy the following things: pants, shoes, a pink tie and a classic white shirt. He already had the suit jacket since forever but let's just say men and shopping do not make a very prosperous combination and for example his baby pink tie we had to eventually bring home from Latvia from a pretty awesome men's store called Branchess (their tie selection is insane!). Long story short - his white shirt came from Sangar, pants from Baltika Moetänav and shoes from a simple supermarket's sale section. So I guess all's well that ends well.


Next invitations, photographer and bridal bouquet. The talented young lady who made our beautiful rustic invitations and also photographed our special day from early morning till the sundown is my sister-in-law Pillery. She's a photographer and an artist who currently studies underwater photography. She also has a Facebook page and a home page where among other lovely galleries and her brilliant artwork you can see P's selection of our photos. And of course each and every photo in today's introductive and detail oriented wedding post comes from Pillery's Photography.

My bridal bouquet which I really loved because of its pure simplicity came from Lemmik Lilleäri in Põltsamaa. We ordered the bouquet on Wednesday evening, got it on Friday evening and the wedding took place on Saturday at 12:30. Their job was quick and efficient and what's also very important - they don't mug you when they hear the words "bridal bouquet". My beautiful bouquet consisted of 15 white roses plus some baby's breath and cost around €16 while several other flower shops told their absolute minimum was €50. €50 for something you have to eventually throw away anyway? Thanks but no thanks!


But now about September 5, the actual wedding day in Tartu and for starters my make-up and hair. My day as a baby pink bride began at 9:30 in the morning when my very awesome make-up artist and hair stylist Astrit started doing her job at E's parents place where we also stayed overnight before and after our wedding. During the whole process I honestly felt as snug as a bug in a rug, hours flew by and the time of the registration of our marriage at the Vital Statistics Office lurked just around the corner.

By the way, compared to the make-up and hair test we had on September 1 I quickly changed my mind about the hair because the fancy updo I originally wanted started to eventually stretch out my poor scalp (the "perks" of having thick hair... even if it's short). So my new downdo was the outcome of a successful creative process and it looked lovely and felt comfortable. My make-up had to be as natural as possible of course, I wanted to look like (the better version of) myself. And the whole package (the test make-up and hair+the real thing) cost less than €30 which is pretty darn amazing!


So this was my mostly introductive and very detail oriented part 1 of the We got married series. If you’re interested in any of the brands or stores I mentioned in my post - clicking the underlined names or phrases will open them in a new window. I hope you guys enjoyed the post and if you happen to have any questions about today’s themes – just leave them in the comments below.
See you in my next post which will probably be about the most beautiful and magical place we’ve been to here in Estonia. And after that, We got married - part 2 with more and more dreamy photos!

37 comments:

  1. Ootan juba rohkem pilte, sest need, mis on tänases postituses on mõnusad teaserid. :) Kuid sain aimu ikkagi, et olid imeilus. Musimopsti ja palju õnne teile! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. suur aitäh, armas Jaanika! ma olen sinuga 100% nõus, et tänane postitus kukkuski välja selline teaser'i laadne mul, kuigi ma seda otseselt ei plaaninud. aga lõin oma mustandi keskelt pooleks ja läks täpselt nii, mis on tegelikult üpris mõnus tõepoolest.

      Delete
  2. Aww..sweet! Congratulations hun!
    And oh, I love the idea that you share this special moment to your readers. The hairstyle you have on your wedding day rocks you..

    Xoxo,
    Jhem | JhemSays.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww these pictures look so beautiful and dreamy! You look lovely and your dress is absolutely gorgeous, as well as your hairstyle. And the invitations are so pretty, I love that idea, it's so different from the usual! Congratulations, again! :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you very much, dear Joana!

      Delete
  4. so amazing photos. Like in a dream!
    Sophie♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how detailed this wedding post was! You're so candid and I truly appreciate it.

    I've been with my boyfriend for six years and we often talk about a wedding in the far off future. One day, I hope the moments will be magical as yours appears to be!

    Loving the air and quality to the photographs too.
    Here's to living the dream of love.

    <3 Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey, Amy! thank you for visiting my blog and leaving such a sweet little note! I'm happy you enjoyed the post since I honestly worked pretty hard on it ;) and of course I hope one day you and your man will have your very own magical wedding day!

      Delete
  6. Oh, Maiken! This post is so incredible and heartwarming. I'm so amazed at how well you were able to organize the logistics and make an event that's usually wallet-depleting much more affordable. I completely agree with your philosophy--no need to spend a ton on things that will wilt anyways, or that there aren't many ocassions to wear. You're so resourceful.

    Anyways, I'm in love with your dress--the lace overlay is so beautiful. And your hairstyle with the dainty pink flowers is absolutely stunning.

    Again, I'm so happy for you--I can't wait for more about the wedding. Wishing you the very best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lily, thank you so much for all the wonderful words! you know you're awesome, right?
      by the way, I always knew my dress had to be as practical as possible (and also later on wearable), not the typical fluffy or too long ones many girls seem to love.

      Delete
  7. tõesti mõnus mannavahuroosa postitus! ootan juba järgmist! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jei, mul on hea meel, et meeldib! :)

      Delete
  8. Congratulations so much on your big day! that's beyond exciting and I'm so happy for the two of you! It looks like your wedding was just beautiful, I can't get over how pretty your hair style was! (It's so beautiful in the pictures, it's really stunning on you and it feels very true to who you are.) Congratulations! :)
    I know it's been about forever since I've left a comment and I am so sorry, I've been really bad about that for a long time now. I've been trying to slowly get better and I just wanted you to know I was thinking of you. And eeep, congratulations again! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, I'm so happy to see you here and super thankful for all the wonderful congratulation wishes and every other sweet word! I've been missing you but at the same time I understand what you're saying because I'm not the best blogger/blog reader at all. I also keep trying and we'll see how it goes... for both of us! :) and once again - it was so great to hear from you!

      Delete
  9. Congratulations to you! How marvellous and you look so elegant and such a beautiful bride, I'm so happy that you shared these wonderful photos with us. I like the look of your dress as well. Great photos. <3 /Madison
    October Moments

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for the sweet words, Madison! I'm glad you enjoyed the post :)

      Delete
  10. Ahhh, congrats congrats congrats! I can't wait to see part 2 :D
    These were lovely closeups from what must've been an even lovelier day <3

    The Dragonfruit Diaries
    Win a free pair of glasses on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG everything is so pretty !! you're sooo prettyyyyy ! pictures are sooo prettyyy !

    and I'm REALLY impressed, on how you achieved to find the good deals in everything, I always thought "OMG a wedding is sooo expensive, how is it possible???"

    But I love how everything is minimal and chic, I love the flowers, I love your dress and I love your rings (yeah..lots of love for this wedding post ♥) ! I'm really impatient to see the second part of this post ;)

    Thanks for the suggestion post, I'll try to manage that ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much, dear Catherine ♥ for each and every kind word. I'm really glad you loved the post and I'll be waiting for that wardrobe post from you ;)

      Delete
  12. Wow, what amazing photos! As you know, we readers are craving for more! Congratulations! Everything looks so special and perfect! I'm happy to see that you had braids in your wedding hairdo, you know how much I love braids :) I have some wedding planning ahead of myself as well, because we got engaged during our autumn holiday in New York! But the wedding will take place at the earliest in 2017, so there is still time to plan everything. There are a lot of exciting things happening in the next couple of years :)

    xxx
    E from Helsinki, Finland
    http://helsinkidragonfly.blogspot.fi/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you very much for all the kind words, dear Elisabeth! I'm happy you enjoyed the post so much, and of course huge congratulations to you and your man! so exciting! I'm sure it's going to be a beautiful wedding :)

      Delete
  13. Hiya Maiken! my gosh its been so long,so lovely to see your comment over on my blog. And wow what a post to come back to on your blog,after all this time. You got MARRIED!!! So amazing,congratulations and I feel oh so lucky to get to see parts of it,such a special time,I cant wait to see part 2,you looked beautiful,everything looks so sweet,natural and romantic x All the Best x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey, you! nice to see you here as well! and a huge "thank you" for all the kind and sweet words. I'm glad you enjoyed the post!

      Delete
  14. Oooh the whole thing looks and sounds so beautiful! Your braided hair looks so gorgeous and ethereal. The dress is gorgeous and even better, a great deal! I love all the detail shots your photographer captured. Your sister in law is so talented :)

    Mili

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you very much for all the kind words, Mili!

      Delete
  15. Congrats!!! Your dress and hair are absolutely stunning!

    I just posted my October Favorites. Check them out: http://thewestcoastexplorer.me/2015/10/28/october-favs/

    Also last day to enter the Urban Deacy & sephora Giveaway I’m hosting: http://thewestcoastexplorer.me/2015/10/16/birthday-giveaway-add-on/

    XoXo,

    Tamara

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations!!!!! It looks like it was such a beautiful day for you both! Your dress is absolutely stunning as well as all the accessories and flowers and your ring of course! Oh and your hair is beautiful you look like a goddess! I'm excited to see more pictures in the future! :)

    Francesca
    www.vintagelillies.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey, Francesca! thank you for all the sweet words. more wedding photos will definitely come in future blog posts!

      Delete
  17. Dear Maiken, I am amazed, so impressed by all and so happy for you! Sorry I didn't receive the post on bloglovin, today I thought "mmm... maybe Maiken wrote about it?" and came to check (and you know why I thought about that? Because I ate basil from my own plants, at home, and I planted because I saw your green house!) Because I was travellling and I turned off the bloglovin delivery, as I felt extremely exhausted this week. Must be a virus. But it's about you now, and I am amazed at how fast you prepared all and how beautiful your flowers were and the service, and for the price and stunning dress as well, from a great brand! I loved the nails, the rings, the hair - fabulous! I think that you did such a great job and your sister-in-law as well! I am now looking forward to the next post! I am here sending you very nice vibes for the new phase of your life! I will post about the trip next Monday, as usual, but nothing compared to your post! :) I am so happy for you! Hugs and kisses!
    DenisesPlanet.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, dear Denise, for your always kind words and thoughts. I'm really glad you enjoyed the post, I will publish part 2 after I have published another post - about Estonian cascades. will start working on it as soon as possible! oh and I hope you're already feeling a lot better and I will go and read your new post now :)

      Delete
  18. So pretty :)))

    http://sbr-fashion-fashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Really beautiful pictures of your wedding. I really love your hair style !
    Congratulations
    Xx
    Margot

    https://troughthepasturesofthesky.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete