12.11.15

Two October Saturdays and three cascades and waterfalls

Hello and happy unexpected November! Next stop Christmas, yes? I have to confess I'm already secretly puzzling over some potential gift ideas. And at the same time I'm of course counting on my potential ability to actually put those ideas into practice in good time. And no, "a good time" does not mean a day or two before the holidays, in my book even a week before is not "a good time". But what about you, guys? Any thoughts on upcoming Christmas or is it way too early to ask?

Anyway, before beginning with today's topics and entirely 22 (!) photos I want to thank you for all the wonderful and thoughtful little notes you left under my wedding post. Thank you! And I hope next time you can already read the long-awaited part 2.


Now, let's go back to October 17 which was the most perfect example of an impeccable autumn day and hopefully my photos can portray my words and vice versa. So, our super sunny day trip started off with teeny-tiny Nõmmeveski village in northern Estonia and to be more precise - Nõmmeveski Waterfall. The waterfall is situated in the glorious canyon of the Valgejõgi River and it's not very high (1.2 m) but still very charming. Especially next to the mystic old hydropower station that lies a few hundred metres downstream. It was built somewhere in the late 20'ies and destroyed in fire in the 60'ies but its remains are still spectacular and I'm really happy we discovered the place before it eventually crumbles if they don't reconstruct it.

Adidas scarf | SheIn top (link) | thrifted belt | MICHAEL Michael Kors pants | Ryłko boots.

Our next stop was Pärispea Peninsula and Viinistu village with its cosy seaside restaurant called Viinistu rannaresto (link). We had an idyllic late lunch there - E pork schnitzel with baked potatoes and chanterelle sauce and I chicken breast with salad and halva mayonnaise. The beautiful blue seascape view from the window next to our table was priceless and our food was delicious - what an absolutely perfect way to complete our day trip and head back home.


But we were not done with discovering beautiful waterfalls yet and returned to northern Estonia and Lahemaa National Park 7 days later - on October 24. This time we explored almost hidden Vasaristi Cascade and mighty Joaveski Cascade. And I even had a tripod with me to play with aperture and shutter speed a little but of course then the battery decided to run short and I didn't get as many photos as I actually wanted to - a classic case of Murphy's law.

Anyway, Vasaristi Cascade gets its water from Vasaristi Stream and consists of three main escarpments (0.5 m, 1.5 m and 1.6 m). It also has several smaller escarpments but since our October was record-breakingly dry the whole thing looked just... dry (see the first two photos below). Joaveski Cascade on the other hand was really awesome and striking. It lies on the Loobu River and consists of 8 lower (0.5-1 m) limestone escarpments distributed over the distance of 150 m, with the total drop of 5.4 m. Before the construction of a cardboard factory (functioned there from 1899 to 1930 and from 1941 till 1994) and power station the river had also a fall with a higher escarpment (app. 3.5 m). But limestone for construction was extracted straight from the riverbed and the fall turned into a cascade. The small power plant was closed in the meantime but reopened in 2001.

thrifted George coat | thrifted Tommy Hilfiger sweater | thrifted Burberry London shirt | Detroit denim by Lindex jeans | Ryłko boots.

Once again we finished our day trip at Viinistu rannaresto where I had creamy pumpkin soup and the most amazing apple tart with ice cream and caramel sauce and the husband who loves pasta picked... shrimp pasta. No photos though since the battery died in Joaveski and I didn't feel like taking them with the phone. But I did capture two exciting wild animals that day: an Alces alces in the morning and a Vulpes vulpes in the evening when the battery had luckily pulled itself together for a couple of quick shots.

And a little sidenote too: when we're with E's car and he's driving and I see a wild animal by the road E must usually stop the car, turn over or do whatever he can do to grant me a decent photo. Luckily he's used to it. But when we're with my car and I'm driving I don't feel the need to pull over and capture those animals. Then I just drive.


So I hope you guys enjoyed today's extreme photo flood because I just couldn't leave anything out and I feel like those two October Saturdays make a pretty decent portrait of our Estonian autumn - one week as sunny as a fairy-tale and a week later as gloomy as a dreary dungeon. Let me know what you guys think and I'll see you in the next post!

26 comments:

  1. beautiful post! amazing scenery and you. so relaxing - I feel like I need a brake somewhere)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, Lyosha! I also feel like I need a break again :)

      Delete
  2. pff no otse loomulikult ei ole mingiks jõuluteemaks mu meelest liiga vara! :D mul on juba päris mitu jõulukingitust olemas, enamus isegi, uusi jõulukaunistusi olen ka soetanud ja ma seletan juba iga õhtu Marttile, et kuuse võiks ju juba tuppa tuua. no seda räägin ma septembri lõpust saadik tegelt, aga nüüd on värviline sügis ka möödas, et nüüd ju juba võiks tegelt ka. igatahes mul on jõulutunne juba megalt sees ja mu haige jõuluvaimustus läheb vist iga aastaga ainult hullemaks :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. issver sussver, tahaks ka, et kingid olemas oleks, aga mul on enamik asju/mõtteid alles peas tiirlemas. sa oled ikka eriline jõulu-entusiast, kui juba enne poolt novembrit kõik peaaegu paigas on :D härra abikaasa mul arvas üldse, et jõulukaunistused pannakse jõulunädalal alles välja :@ igatahes, minul põleb kaminasimsil praegu 9 küünalt ja jõulud pole sugugi kaugel!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. päris asjalik on teine tõesti hiinaka kohta, isegi pärast pesumasinas käimist!

      Delete
  4. Wow!! These photos are stunning! Those waterfalls are breathtaking and that must have been amazing to experience! Also I love your outfits, I noticed a lot of the pieces in your outfit were thrifted and I love how you styled them! I am always thrifting and I think you find such good quality pieces for so much cheaper! It looks like you guys had a wonderful time! And I love the animal photos, very pretty!

    Francesca

    www.vintagelillies.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, Francesca! I absolutely love thrift shopping! because when I get a decent authentic Burberry shirt for a couple of euros it's such a wonderful and victorious feeling. as a matter of fact most of my ("fancy") brand clothes are thrifted with the most amazing prices.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful pictures! <3

    Chiara

    http://www.culturewithcoco.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love when you post a lot of photos, dear Maiken! I really love your stories and the places you show, plus seeing how beautiful you look and the sweet animals you photographed! Yes, I am waiting for the 2nd part of the wedding :) But now I have seen so beautiful waterfalls/cascades, I really loved them! I love water, so I would be so happy to be there, too! The places you showed today are really stunning - not that others that you have shown were not, but as I said, I love water and I loved the photos! I also like architecture, so you showed all I like :) The place really look mysterious, by the waterfall! I also liked your first tip very very much and the coat as well! I am now looking forward to the next post... :) Ah, no, before I forget! Nearly all Christmas presents were already bought! I hate doing last minute shopping!
    DenisesPlanet.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow, lucky you, when it comes to the presents! I hate last minute shopping too but sometimes it still happens and I can't help it. let's see how it goes this year ;) anyway, thank you, dear Denise, for all the lovely feedback you always leave here. it's the best feeling when my dearest readers find so much enjoyable from my (rare...) posts :)

      Delete
  7. Maiken, what a serene set of photos. I love the warm lighting, beautiful nature, and of course, your stylish looks. The sleeves on that top are impeccable in the first photo!

    I'm sorry to hear your battery ran out, but the photos you did capture really do speak. I'm particularly intrigued by the long exposure shot in the woods, with the streaky person walking by. It's so ethereal!

    I love the system you have in place with your husband about photo taking and driving. There are definitely so many gems along the road.

    Wishing you the very best--I can't wait for part 2 of your wedding post!

    imperfect idealist

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, dear Lily, for all the sweet and thoughtful words. I'm happy you enjoyed my photography and I promise I will start working on the part 2 of our wedding stories as soon as possible!

      Delete
  8. Wonderful photos, that fox is so cute! The atmosphere in these photos are excellent, well done! Looks like such a nice autumn get away! Here, the Christmas street will be opened on Sunday so the city is soon set for the big event! Thank you for your kind comment on my blog, I would love to know what kind of bedding you have in your bedroom :)

    xxx
    E from Helsinki, Finland
    http://helsinkidragonfly.blogspot.fi/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, Elisabeth, I'm happy you enjoyed the photos :) but when it comes to the bedding in our bedroom I have to say it's (unfortunately) quite random. I try to pick colours that suit our bedroom the best but sometimes the (cheap) price wins and some strange colours come home with me :P

      Delete
  9. Wow, Estonia looks so beautiful! I would love to visit one day. The endless waterfall photos are so soothing. And great job capturing the wild life! Love the brown boots you're wearing in both looks :)

    Mili

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, Mili! you should most definitely visit my country one day, I have a feeling you would like it here! and I would of course love to visit your country (okay, pretty much every Estonian does but still).

      Delete
  10. Maiken, first of all let me give you my best wishes and congratulations on your wedding, I have been missing a bit from your blog so I only saw it now. I loved reading the post and can't wait to read part 2 now, your dress and hairdo and also bouquet were amazing ! This post is also wonderful, amazing nature :) Kisses

    Fashion and Cookies - fashion blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey, Vale, nice to see you here again! and of course thank you so much for your kind wishes! I hope part 2 is not too far any more ;)

      Delete
  11. Wow Maiken, these pictures are so beautiful! We really had a lovely Indian summer, but now they're planning snow next week (I'm not happy at all, I love snow, but not when I have to drive :( )

    I've also already bought most of my Christmas gifts (but more for a funds reason aha, the issue when you have a big family :P)

    I also love your first top, the details on the sleeve are amazing! Oh and I love your boots ♥
    Can't believe you saw a moose, (I have to say I didn't know that there were moose in Estonia! :o)


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, dear Catherine! I love reading your comments!
      by the way, I agree with you when it comes to snow and driving. especially driving long distances with snow, slush or ice. so annoying and dangerous too because not everybody chooses the right speed and maneuvres...
      hehe and I'm glad you found out something new about my country! but I think they call it "elk" here in Eurasia and "moose" in North America ;)

      Delete
  12. I like these photos very much. That long coat is beautiful.To be honest, I have yet to start real Christmas shopping, but I have a couple of birthdays of family and friends to get and that has started. The most we've done is finish booking our holiday tickets a few weeks ago. You look lovely. Wishing you a great rest of November. <3 /Madison
    http://fashiontalesblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, Madison! I really thought about dealing with some of the presents maybe this week but then something sudden and surgical came up and right now my energy level is just not the highest. but soon, I hope!

      Delete
  13. Congratulations on your wedding, I read through the post but thought I'd comment on this one, you looked beautiful and I really liked your dress :).

    The waterfalls look beautiful and it must have been so relaxing to go there, and you got to see wild animals! I've not taken a holiday in ages and I'm just itching for an escape, I forgot what it was like to breathe in the fresh air! xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ps - the above comment was from me! Haha sorry, I logged in to the wrong Google account when I left it! xx

    ReplyDelete