26.9.16

Helsinki photo diary

Wow, entirely two months have flown by like rockets since our July 27 day trip to Helsinki! It was a gorgeously sunny Wednesday, just perfect for a nice trip on foot. But first we had to travel by water of course and then, two and a half hours later we were in Helsinki, firmly moving towards Kaisaniemi Botanic Garden.


We used our Viking Club cards for discount so one ticket for an adult cost 7€ instead of the usual 9 but for further information about entrance fees, opening hours, how to get there and more visit their home page here. I also recommend reading this very well written introduction if you're interested in visiting Kaisaniemi Botanic Garden.

Anyway, my biggest favourites were those beautiful white evergreen glasshouses. They have African Violet Room, Rainforest Room, Palm House, Savanna Room, Dry Forest Room, Desert Room, South African Room, Island Room, Waterlily Room and Mediterranean Room and I think it's the perfect system.

What completely wowed me was the Waterlily Room with astonishing Santa Cruz water lilies and beautifully blossoming "Red Flare" water lilies. The leaves of Santa Cruz water lilies can reach almost two whopping meters in diameter and seeing it with my own eyes totally blew my mind! I know for sure we have to go back one day because this time the outdoor garden was very much under repairs/being renewed and looking at the photos below also makes me miss their Waterlily Room.


After visiting the botanic garden we walked to Kamppi Shopping Center (link) and had lunch at a café called Picnic (link). Their fresh and flavourful salads are delicious by the way. Mine with feta cheese, blueberries, strawberries, beans, watermelon, crispbread, raspberry sauce and lettuce was definitely one of the best salads I've ever had! But later on we had dinner at Kotipizza (link) where I chose classic Tropicana and the husband picked Burgerpizza which tasted exactly like Big Mac if you ask me. Both pizzas were really yummy and to this day we sometimes nostalgically dream about them...


Anyway, since I already brought up Kamppi I should conjointly say my shopping was really minimal and necessary. I bought cute underwear (19.95 9.95€ + 7.95 3.95€) from Kamppi's Cubus, a beautiful wallet (59 29.50€) from Laura Ashley store and my favourite Calvin Klein undies (34€) from our ship's shopping world. I was also digging around for a cosy cardigan but unfortunately couldn't find the right one with buttons. Have to keep looking for it! 


Now, besides visiting the botanical garden, slight shopping and delicious meals our day in Helsinki obviously contained plenty of walking. We crossed almost 27 km, wasted a little more than 2000 calories while walking and took around 36 000 steps! And my last bunch of photos derives from Katajanokka district where we intentionally circled before catching our ship because I love directionless discovering!

lefties dress & cardigan (& sandals) | Ray-Ban sunglasses | Cropp Accessories necklace | Guess handbag.
 
So I hope you guys enjoyed this whopping photo diary and my observations from the trip. Luckily our next (and unfortunately the last of 2016) vacation is not so far anymore and for example we're going to visit a spa that is completely new to us. I already feel like I seriously need it! Anyway, see you guys in the next post! How does an autumnal haul/garden post sound to you by the way?

16 comments:

  1. Finally! I've been waiting for this blog post ever since I heard that you were heading over to my beloved home city! <3 I loved the photos from the Kaisaniemi Botanical Garden & Katajanokka district :) They are such lovely places! And here's another reason to come back: Kamppi is getting a restaurant floor (the entire 5th floor) named Kortteli with 10 new restaurants in December! They told the news today, and I couldn't be more excited!

    xxx
    E from Helsinki, Finland
    http://helsinkidragonfly.blogspot.fi/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, Elisabeth! I'm happy you enjoyed the post :) and I hope we'll be back already next year!

      Delete
  2. No, no, a lot of people now accept that last and past can be used interchangeably. So I just meant in the past four months. I still have the major part of my maternity leave left 😊 I'll return to work next year!

    xxx
    E from Helsinki, Finland
    http://helsinkidragonfly.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this post, dear Maiken, as usual! I am planning to visit Helsinki for so long, and never did it till now - but I will plan carefully :) I went to a Botanic Garden last weekend, what for a coincidence to see that you went, although the one you went is much more beautiful! I am so impressed by the so many rooms they have, Rain Forest, Desert, etc, amazing! I am impressed by the Santa Cruz lilies, to have leaves (some) with 2 m of diameter! And also that you covered 27 km, yes, that is burning calories after food :) The pizza that tastes like a Big Mac, I am also impressed! I loved your dress, you look so beautiful, very feminine! I also loved the Calvin Klein undies and the Laura Ashley wallet - my favorite color :) I loved the pictures! And loved to read your posts! Hope you have a very good day and week, with many new adventures! (Waiting for the spa post now) :)
    DenisesPlanet.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow, thank you so much, Denise! I'm really glad you enjoyed the post :) it would be exciting to read about your trip to Helsinki so you should definitely do it! and Estonia too, of course ;) by the way, I can't wait to visit this spa already! another busy week at work left though.

      Delete
  4. Oh wow, the Botanic garden sounds and looks spectacular. I'd like to visit the African violet area, since I love them. I always like hearing about your shopping ventures and findings. I have never had a burgerpizza, so I can't imagine how that would taste, very interesting indeed. The spa should be fun, I am due for a pampering weekend, but will have to wait until October when I have more time off. Have a lovely weekend. x/Madison
    FASHION TALES

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, Madison! I also have another week at work left before we'll have a week off and go to the spa for one night. totally looking forward to it already!

      Delete
  5. Ah, your photos are always breathtaking! I love the lush greenery--those water lilies are legit, haha. Also, your outfits match the settings perfectly--the bright coral top against the blue sky and your lace white dress against the summery ferris wheel background are so complementary.

    I always look forward to your adventures, and I'd love to see a fall-themed post :) Wishing you the very best!

    imperfect idealist

    ReplyDelete
  6. Referring to your comment on my blog: you're right, next year is soon here but I won't be heading back until June-August...so fortunately I still have plenty of time to spend with my precious baby girl!

    xxx
    E from Helsinki, Finland
    http://helsinkidragonfly.blogspot.fi/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow that botanical garden is amazing!! Didn't know that those water lillies actually exists, it's just AMAZING :o The size is incredible.

    Well, it looks like a super nice little trip, in a great city ! (and that salad looks way too delicious !!)
    I love CK underwear too, they're just so comfy and a good classic ;) (got a pack of 3 for 19€ last time, I was so happy XD)

    Kisses from France my dear Maiken ♡

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've always wanted to go to Helsinki, but after reading this post, I'm so tempted to go already. Have a lovely week ;)

    tipscapsule.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks like an awesome trip! The botanical garden looks so stunning. It's truly amazing how much diversity there are in the plant kingdom. Also those pizzas look so yummy :D Thanks for sharing Helsinki through your eyes!

    Mili | Sharmtoaster

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your pictures are stunning! I've traveled thanks to your article!

    xx

    http://wall-s-tyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Maiken !
    To answer your question, I'm a commercial assistant in a grating company :) It's no very glamorous aha

    ReplyDelete
  12. These photos are absolutely gorgeous! You have officially inspired me to go to a greenhouse very soon. It looks so pretty and refreshing, the perfect spot for a vacation. Also, that underwear set is so gorgeous!! And an autumnal haul sounds perfect I love haul posts! Glad to see you had an awesome trip!

    Francesca
    www.vintagelillies.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh I love Helsinki! what a joy! I've never seen it during warmer periods but looks lovely anyway

    Lyosha
    Inside and Outside Blog

    ReplyDelete