1.1.17

Kolga Manor and Juminda Peninsula

Hey, dear readers! First of all I hope you spent wonderful Christmas and of course I want to wish you guys Happy New Year touched with wonder and filled with love! But although it just was Christmas and it's officially winter I'm going to start today's post with a sunny road trip we took on October 1. Because I really feel like there's no point in sharing our actual gloomy foggy depressing December weather with you. But I do have a small selection of more or less up-to-date phone photos waiting for you if you get to the second half of this post!


So, a few words about October 1. Our destination was Juminda Peninsula but before getting there we ran into mysterious Kolga Manor (read more about it here and here). It was founded as a manor already in the 13th century but its current appearance originates from the 1820s when the previous building was completely reconstructed as a stylish Classicist palace. What impressed me the most was the portico with six pillars and the coat of arms of Stenbock family who owned the manor for three centuries. Those mighty pillars remind me of Ancient Roman architecture and our trip to the Palace of Knossos in 2009.

Ray-Ban sunglasses | thrifted scarf | FB Sister jacket | thrifted LAUREN RALPH LAUREN top | thrifted Diesel belt | lefties jeans | thrifted PRO sneakers.

Kolga Manor houses really cool Kolck restaurant (see their stylish home page here) which hungry us of course had to visit. Their duck fillet with mashed potatoes, pickled red cabbage slaw and beetroot was wonderful and we can both say the same about their handmade glazed cheese curd with blueberry jam. We shared one but were clearly longing for more after that delicious bite! And look at their stylish old school tableware!


Anyway, it was a particularly stormy day and we were itching to capture those wild waves. And since my husband found the best angles and caught the best moments I'm sharing some of his photos with you to deliver the right storm vibe. But in addition to boisterous waves on the western shore and on top of the peninsula we also came across utterly calm Hara Bay on the eastern shore. What we missed this time was an abandoned submarine demagnetizing base which we are going to discover the next time we're on the peninsula. Because explorations like these are the best!


But as promised I also have a bunch of mostly (≈92%) phone photos prepared for you - a few from October and more from November and December. But still no Instagram account despite the fact I even have the app ready in my phone! Anyway, this bonus section consists of three collages: let them be yummy life, dog life and life in between. And here come my comments about the photos: yummy life - 1) 6.11.16 My cute Opel mug from a thrift shop in Latvia; 2) 12.11.16 The husband made some delicious maki sushi with salmon, avocado, wakame and cucumber for dinner; 3) 20.11.16 My photogenic Clubhouse burger from good old McDonald's; 4) 9.12.16 A Caesar salad for lunch in Rakvere (this eatery's web page).


dog life - 1) and 2) 2.10.16 The last harvest of 2016 and Elvis the Supervisor; 3) 20.11.16 The husband bought a new toolbox and Elvis supervised again; 4) 6.12.16 Remember this young cutie? Well, he's all grown up now!


life in between - 1) 7.12.16 A really cool Estonian web shop called Pepe (Pepe's home page) sent me their brown bear bookmark. Will show you more in another post; 2) 13.12.16 My winter nails; 3) 21.12.16 My very first and very wonderful handmade premium leather bow-tie from KUMA (KUMA's home page). All thanks to Britta's giveaway in her fierce fashion blog here; 4) 21.12.16 A beautiful Christmas concert in St. Peter's Church in Tartu. Rolf and Saara were fantastic!


So I hope you guys enjoyed today's post and the slight photo overload. I think I worked on it for weeks! By the way, our precious veranda is finally ready but we still must restore a Soviet time cupboard and a very old handmade farmhouse bench. I will definitely share everything in a future blog post. But leave me your thoughts on today's post and see you guys in the next one!

15 comments:

  1. Nii tore sind veel blogimas näha! Ootan iga sinu postitust ja kui teate saan, siis alati asun rõõmuga lugema :)

    Ps. Ilusat uut aastat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mõnusat uut aastat sullegi! :) ja tõesti suur-suur aitäh armsa kommentaari eest. nii tore on midagi sellist lugeda oma üliharvade postituste alt. ja annan endast kindlasti parima, et 2017 tooks rohkem postitusi kui 2016! lihtsalt vaheapeal pressib muu elu nii kõvasti peale, et postituste tegemine muudkui libiseb kuskile kaugemale. aga uuel aastal uue hooga, sest blogimist ma endiselt armastan!

      Delete
  2. Happy New Year dear Maiken! Love the natural photos & the manor - they're all stunning! I've heard about KUMA before, I love their pieces, but I'm still waiting for a dragonfly, haha! Thank you for stopping by my blog, I wish you the best year 2017!

    xxx
    E from Helsinki, Finland
    http://helsinkidragonfly.blogspot.fi/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. happy new year, Elisabeth! and thank you for the kind words. maybe you should let KUMA know you're waiting for a dragonfly? ;)

      Delete
  3. Happy 2017, dear Maiken! I love your posts and all you share, I really like these updates, it's not picture overloaded, I really like that! Lovely what you showed, all seems to be so interesting! Juminda Peninsula, Kolga Manor - and what for a great portico! I also loved the Opel mug and your sneakers - and wow, your hair is long again, although it was never short, but I mean, longer anyway! I loved your scarf, I love red, you know! And the waves, amazing gif! Oh, the supervisor, so sweet! And the other cute dog, all grown up :) I am so glad that you wrote this update in January and I really would love to see the veranda, with the Soviet furniture! Hope you have a really amazing, brilliant 2017, dear Maiken, and I hope we go on with our friendship, virtual or maybe we meet? throughout the new year! Hugs!
    DenisesPlanet.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. happy 2017 to you too, dear Denise! I'm glad you liked the post! by the way, I recently noticed the same thing about my hair but I guess we'll see what I'm going to do about it :P oh and it would be really cool to meet!! let me know if Estonia gets into your travelling list :)

      Delete
  4. Always so happy to see a post from you, Maiken! Your comments are also always too sweet <3

    I'm loving this rustic destination--the crashing waves look so beautiful, especially in the gif. The tall trees are also so majestic and their deep green shades are fairytale-esque. I'm incredibly jealous of the food you're sharing too hehe. While I don't consume dairy often, I'd totally go for handmade glazed cheese curd with blueberry jam. And your phone photos are so insta-worthy! Definitely let me know if/when you make an account :)

    Wishing you the happiest of weeks and the loveliest beginning of the year!

    imperfect idealist

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much, dear Lily! I wish you the same! ♡
      haha, I don't even know why I haven't made that account yet! I know I totally should and I will definitely let you know when it's done!
      ps. that handmade glazed cheese curd indeed was amazing ;)

      Delete
  5. These photos are absolutely gorgeous as usual! Those waves are amazing and it seems you both captured them so well. I love that restaurant too, the food looks great and the atmosphere looks so cozy. Also your outfit with the tan jacket and scarf is so pretty and perfect for the photos. And you should make an instagram! It's a great way to catch up with bloggers between posts and to share even more photos! Then we can see more of those dogs too!

    Francesca
    www.vintagelillies.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, Francesca :) I'm really happy you enjoyed the post and I know you're right about Instagram too! will let you know when a miracle has happened and I finally have an account :P

      Delete
  6. Happy new year Maiken ! Wishing you the best for this new year ♡
    Love those pictures! Those landscapes are gorgeous, and it feels soo good to see some sun (I've already enough of snow and cold for the next year...but I can't imagine how it must be in Estonia!)

    Btw love your jeans, such a great shape and color !

    ♡ ♡
    Ps : yes, you definitely need an Instagram account :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, Catherine! ♥ I think I should create that account at least before May when our next plane trip arrives, haha!

      Delete
  7. Hi there dear and Happy New Year to you as well! It seems like wonderfully picturesque areas and a lovely time spent for you. I love beetroot and slaw, my mum makes a great salad like that. It's always lovely to see what you have been up to, and wow look at Elvis, that cutie! Enjoy the rest of your January! /Madison xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for the sweet comment, Madison! I'm glad you enjoyed the post :)

      Delete
  8. Happy new year babe!! Wish you all the best.

    The photo's are so pretty babe!!

    X Merel
    www.andathousandwords.com

    ReplyDelete