2.6.17

Croatia I: our hotel, Srebreno, Mlini and Kupari


Hello and happy first official month of summer! In Estonia it's currently more like freezing autumn or winter but I and the husband kicked off our holiday season already in May when we spent 7 nights and 8 days in fantastic Croatia. Or actually we landed at tiny Tivat Airport in Montenegro and after that came a pitch black Mercedes Viano and drove us to Croatia. But before border crossing between Montenegro and Croatia we also crossed the Bay of Kotor by ferry. That's a lot of traffic for one day and we were so relieved when we finally arrived at our cosy hotel - Sheraton Dubrovnik Riviera Hotel (home page).

They kindly upgraded our superior double room to deluxe double room (link) with a spacious balcony overlooking the vivid Adriatic coastline. Our king size bed was easily the best one we have ever had in a hotel - I really slept like a baby in it. And I also thoroughly took advantage of our bathtub - a local dm store (link) sold some pretty awesome coconut and lemongrass bath sticks. I brought 3 sticks home with me because one day I will have my own bathtub and I'm going to really enjoy them then!


By the way, Sheraton Dubrovnik Riviera Hotel is situated in small Srebreno village that lies between marvelous Mlini village and fascinating Kupari village. Srebreno and Mlini are connected by a picturesque promenade by the sea and in today's travel post I'm sharing photos we took essentially on May 4 in Mlini but you can also see our hotel and some Kupari village. Kupari is home to five abandoned hotels - a former military resort built for the elite of the then Yugoslav army. In 1991 the Croatian War of Independence broke out and the Yugoslav army bombarded and burned their former holiday spot. But I'm going to tell you about those notorious hotels in a separate blog post because they're totally worth it.


Mlini, on the other hand, is an idyllic little place that has its own river called Zavrelje. The name Mlini comes from the mills (mlini in Croatian) which were used to obtain water from the river. Mlini is filled with historical monuments and legends, fragrant parks, floral gardens and promenades, shallow pebble beaches and protected coves, hotels, villas and summer houses. Some of the historical and cultural sights we saw were the enormous oriental plane tree of Mlini (planted in 1742, height 30.30 m, circumference of the trunk 6.80 m), a specimen of a stone wheel which was used for grinding olives, and the curch of St. Rocco where a holy mess is held only once a year. They even have a really cool outdoor gym! Mlini is probably one of the most beautiful little places I've ever been to in my life. It really left me breathless and I truly miss the place!


Now, restaurant of the day was a Sheraton restaurant next to the seaside promenade, facing their Pool Bar Pinija. My Greek salad was flavourful and heavenly juicy and the husband loved his seafood pasta. But in the evening we used room service for the first time ever and ordered dinner to our hotel room. And it was conjointly the only time we received very mediocre dishes during our whole trip. It was edible but had no love in it, the best part were my french fries. Every other experience in countless restaurants really was great so we learned our lesson - always go to a restaurant, don't lounge in your room!


Anyway, such a long post about only one day of our Croatian adventure but I feel like I really wanted to write everything down because it was one of our best trips. Croatia had so much to offer and I feel like I got so many positive vibes and inspiration! I will definitely tell you about the Old Town of Dubrovnik, Dubrovnik Cable Car, Lokrum Island, the abandoned ghost hotels in Kupari, more about the surroundings of Mlini and Srebreno and of course about our day trip to magical Mostar in Bosnia and Herzegovina. But would you also like to see a little haul kind of thing among everything else? Let me know what you think! I hope you enjoyed the post and I'll see you in the next one!

15 comments:

  1. Hello, Maiken! I just realized how long I've been away from blogs--I missed quite a few beautiful moments here. Your Valentine's day shoot post was so lovely <3 I remember seeing the photos on insta, but I love all the bonus shots here--especially the older photos! Your relationship is inspiring; it's always heartwarming to see people who love each other live through so many adventures over so many years, through thick and thin. I also loved the gorgeous shoes you got in the next post--I'm a sucker for gold flats and gold-detailed sneakers.

    The scenery in this post is breathtaking! The blue is just so pure and lovely, and the clouds above the mountains are so majestic. The hotel is also too chic--I've stayed in Sheraton once, and it was undoubtedly the best hotel experience I've ever had so far.

    Sending you the very best, and looking forward to keeping up with your adventures--here and on insta :)

    imperfect idealist

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much for this heart-warming comment, dear Lily! ♥ reading such kind words always makes my day.
      I don't want to repeat your last sentence but it's exactly what I want to say! and will head to your blog now ;)

      Delete
  2. Hiya Maiken! How captivating these images are. Firstly, thanks so much for always making your way to my blog. It's hard sometimes to catch up but you always are dedicated and consistent with your visits.
    I cannot believe the weather in Estonia right now, most of us are experiencing the heat, although breezy it will certainly be warm hot soon in late-June in the UK and Europe. We are spending holiday in the Southern states soon for a week and then I've got a work business trip so I will have to try to squeeze in extra time for blogging. Love all of your pics here, especially Mlini village, seems like a lovely place.

    I've never been to Croatia but I do have a friend from uni originally from there and she always used to tell me how wonderful it is to spend holidays there. Looking forward to your tales from the Old Town of Dubrovnik, and more! Take care, Madison <3 x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, Madison, for such a kind comment ♥ I'm glad you liked the post and I agree when it comes to blogging, reading blogs and finding time for all of it. it can be really difficult but I still love the process :) I know I should already start working on my next post about Croatia since it's going to be super photo heavy!

      Delete
  3. Lovely blog post Maiken! I haven't been to Croatia, so I found it fascinating! Looks like you really found a serene place to stay at. And yes for the haul post! Bring it on!
    The only thing that catched my eye was the comment "sleep like a baby". It reminded me of the quote: "People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one." Because babies rarely sleep for long without waking up.

    xxx
    E from Helsinki, Finland
    http://helsinkidragonfly.blogspot.fi/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, Elisabeth! I'm happy you liked the post :) and I will photograph some of the goodies we brought home with us.
      by the way, I know this saying is quite controversial and I have read about different theories but I still find it suitable here in my post :)

      Delete
  4. It's sooo beautiful ! I was just thinking that I should go to Croatia one day, as it's so pretty !
    Love those pictures, makes me wanna go in a plane right now
    Mlini looks so cute and picturesque, makes me think of some cities I visited in Minorca two years ago

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, Catherine ♥ I also want to go back to Mlini and Croatia overall, it was such a lovely trip! I googled Minorca too and it indeed seems to be a wonderful little island :)

      Delete
  5. Dear dear Maiken, believe it or not, I will have to read your post later... I am in a merry-go-round trip and will explain later... but for today, I only wanted to come here to say happy birthday... you will see i posted on the 14th here... I didnt forget you, but as I told you, these days I barely use the computer... reading like crazy, but books... to the next step at university - will tell you later :) For now, I would like to say again, happy happy birthday and I hope you enjoy it in a beautiful way! Many hugs and kisses and great new astrological year!
    DenisesPlanet.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. And here I am again and I promised I would read it when I finished the big project I was in, at uni, and I am returning today to blog catch up :) Your pictures are always amazing and how lovely to be in Croatia, dear Maiken and experience these cities! I loved the hotel and that you were upgraded and then that sea! Amazing! I also loved Mlini (and the name explanation) and I am sure you had a great time! The food looked very good, too! I hope you are fine and having a ice time, dear friend, I missed you! Hugs!
    DenisesPlanet.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey, Denise! thank you so much for the beautiful and kind birthday wishes ♥
      I'm really happy to see you here again and that you liked this post. I'm already (haha, such a relative word!) working on the next one because I want to share all the amazing places we visited in Croatia :)

      Delete
    2. Sometimes my computer plays tricks :) And I knew I couldn't see the gif before, so I came to read your answer last week and saw that you are waiting a baby girl :) That is amazing! I tried to comment, but somehow I couldn't, so here I am again to say a BIG CONGRATULATIONS!!!! You deserve really all the best! Hugs, dear Maiken!
      DenisesPlanet.com

      Delete
    3. thank you so much for the kind wishes, Denise ♥ always happy when you stop by!

      Delete
  7. Thank you for your kind comment on my nursery blog post, have you started to plan for your nursery yet? :)

    xxx
    E from Helsinki, Finland
    http://helsinkidragonfly.blogspot.fi/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, not really :P at first she will be staying in our bedroom so we have to prepare a special corner for her there :)

      Delete